We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

Hi TA,

Another weather question! I'm finding very conflicting information online regarding weather on around Pangkor Laut in mid December (Christmas Time). I understand that Malaysia always has a chance of rain, which is expected due to the proximity to the equator. I would like to know whether it is likely to be pretty rainy in December or whether it will be pleasant?

The odd shower can be rather enjoyable in the tropics, but a whole day... maybe not so much!

Thank you!

18 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

Hi Beadsbb ,

I have been to Pangkor in both November & December & it wasn't like pouring throughout the day..

Mostly rain start in early evening prompting some of the beach eateries which are not well sheltered to scramble & sometimes they stop within an hour.. on certain nights light rains or slightly heavier downpours persisted till after midnight.. but weather was less sunny during the day , more cloudy weather.. but while i was there , there was some rain at different timings every day..

But then again my stays were always on Pangkor Island @ Pasir Bogak & Teluk Nipah , not Pangkor Laut..

To me , the more murky sea water because of the rainy season was not so fun for me as i love swimming in the sea..

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

Hi Ddayrncm,

Thanks for that. Well the odd downpour in the evening isn't too bad, and I don't even mind a cloudy day. Murky sea though doesn't sound so fun!

Well, I guess I'll have to have my fingers crossed that the rain around Pangkor Laut doesn't cloud up the nice blue sea and I'll have my fingers crossed for at least one day of sun and blue skies!

Thanks so much!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

The sea waters at Pangkor Laut are likely to be at least better than Pangkor Island's public beaches.. as a lot of inconsiderate pple continuously dispose of unwanted stuff & rubbish in the open sea & harm the environment..

Because of the monsoon season from November till early March on Eastern side of Peninsular Malaysia, a beach lover like me have only a few choices on the Western side, Langkawi , Penang or Pangkor..

Pangkor Laut is a bit out of my budget ha ha...

But seriously with the price tag of Pangkor Laut, you can stay in the more expensive & really nice resorts in Langkawi like Four Seasons, The Datai or The Danna...

Anyhow, a least you are in a private resort with less pple & you can always arrange for a speedboat to bring you over to Pangkor Island if you want something else..

Cheers & Enjoy!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

I Know! It's out of my budget too! A lot of hard work and saving up to go there for a once in a lifetime experience!

We have done Langkawi before... very beautiful. We didn't stay in any of the luxury resorts unfortunately, but Fave hotel near Cenang. So we wanted to go somewhere different and spoil ourselves, after the hard work to save!

It's a shame about people littering the ocean, hopefully people can learn that this is harmful sooner rather than later!

Thanks for your help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

If you somehow felt bored on some days, ask for a speedboat trip to Teluk Nipah area which is very laidback & mainly consists of Muslim food stalls(yummy) with seafood dishes & a few western restaurants(Daddy's Cafe!!).. seasports activities here as well..

There are some travellers who stay for a few months here..

Cheers & Enjoy!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

Hiya beadsbb how u Dunn ?' When on pangkor if it rains it dosent last long ,

It mostly rains late afternoon or during the night,

Where I stay I always get my room with a tin roof and I love lying on my bed reading and listening to the rain it's so relaxing, or I actually get in the pool as it is still warm, but not when its torrential !! Lol

But at Christmas it hardly rains so don't worry.

Believe me you will love pangkor x

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

Thanks Ddayrncm & maggieomx,

I'm glad to hear that it's unlikely to rain out there, we get enough of it here in old Blighty... although it's rather refreshing in Malaysia quite a different experience!

I do like the Muslim restaurants, there was one I went to in Georgetown (Penang)which was unforgettable! Tandoori goodness! :)

I'm beyond excited to go there, I can almost feel the humid air! Seven months and counting! Hahaha!

Thank you both, for your advice and valuable help!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

I take short breaks in Pangkor a few times per year but I am guessing Maggie actually stays on Pangkor... so her info is even more accurate & up to date!!

Remember to book a good coach from KL so you can relax & have a relatively trouble-free ride to Lumut..

I am currently trying to save up for a trip to the UK & seems like it's going to cost me an arm & a leg to stay in 3~4 star hotels in London & Manchester... so I understand your effort to find out more about Pangkor Laut, that required a lot of saving up...

Cheers & Just Enjoy Yourself!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

If you are flying from Singapore to London, fly the new Norwegian route. It's was around £1,000 less than other carriers. It's a brand new route that starts in September this year. I'm using them to fly into Singapore then onto KL, Pangkor.

I would recommend airbnb for Manchester for a decent stay... Although not exactly 4 star but decent nonetheless. You will have an amazing time in London when you do come. If you want any tips or recommendations for when you are here. Feel free to DM me and I'll be happy to help!

Definitely looking forward to it, especially when it's so cold and grey here in London at the moment!

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question

It's just a plan to watch my favourite team live & visit their stadium in Manchester.. i certainly welcome the possibility of cheaper flights.. i saw news regarding this Norwegian route as well.. prior to them , a lot of travellers were mentioning Malaysian Airlines as a cheap option..

Plan to stay in London for a few days followed by a National Express Coach to Manchester.. i guess even 4* will be too expensive for accomodation in London..

I have only saved up to 50% of my estimated budget so it could really be 6 months ~ 1 year before i can realise this... arggghh..

Cheers & Hope You Enjoy Yourselves!!

Reply to: Pangkor Laut - A weather Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pangkor