We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

We are travelling as 4 adults and 2 kids under 10 in mid-December. We have booked accomodation in Naha and plan to do a one night stay in Motobu/Nago when we visit the aquarium as well as sights in the north of Okinawa.

Here is my proposed itinerary. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Day 1 - Arrive in the afternoon by monorail to Kencho-mae Station; Kokusaidori and nearby

Day 2 - Yachimun Street, Makishi Public Market, Shikina-en Garden, Shurijo Castle, Okinawa Prefectural Museum and Art Museum

Day 3 - Ojima Island, Cape Chinen Park, Sefa-Utaki, Valley Of Gangala, Okinawa World Culture Kingdom Gyokusendo (optional?)

Day 4 - Cape Manzamo, Aeon Mall Okinawa Rycom, Depot Island, American Village

Day 5 - Nago Pineapple Park, Kouri-jima Island (overnight stay at Motobu/ Nago)

Day 6 - Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, Tropical Dream Center, Nakijin Castle Ruins

Day 7 - Umikaji Terrace, Ashibina Outlet Mall, Okinawa Peace Memorial Park

Day 8 - Leave for airport in the afternoon so any places that can be covered without a car

I think we will definitely need a car from Day 2 and return it on Day 7 as there are not many sights that can be easily reached by monorail from what I can see in the map.

Are there any other places that we should visit? We are not really beach people and being winter, not really sure if there is any reason to have a day at the beach.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

4 replies to this topic
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
3,422 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

Within Naha, driving is not always necessary. Driving is possible if you like. You can start driving on Day 3.

Nago Pineapple Park may not be fun since it'll be off season for pineapple.

You can visit Yumeyuri Museum if you're interested in it. I'd order from Peace Memorial Park -> Himeyuri Museum -> Ashibina Outlet Mall -> Senagajima Island. If you dine in Outlet Mall, it should in the end.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

Thank you ET flyer! If we drop Nago Pineapple Park what are other places around that area we could go to?

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
3,422 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

Hi shamic,

We visited Kouri-jima Island and Churaumi Aquarium on the same day. Drive between two is 30 - 40 minutes. In northern Nago, Nakjin-son, and Motobu-cho, dining spot is limited. You may plan where to stop for lunch and short meal break. Apparently, the aquarium and Kourijima's tower has restaurant.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

We had lunch in this restaurant. As you see, this Ufuya has over 500 reviews in spite of such a rural area. It's just because there're not many dining option, I guess.

Chatan-cho, Japan
Level Contributor
359 posts
244 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December

on day 3 Valley of Gangala needs a reservation and it takes less than an hour to look around, Okinawa World is the main attraction there.

Reply to: Itinerary suggestions - 1 week in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Okinawa City