We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Fuji/Hakone??

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Fuji/Hakone??

Hope I am posting in the right forum. Would like to do a short trip from Tokyo to see Mt fuji, stay overnight or two. We will have two small children in tow. Can anyone recommend where to stay and what to do? We will be going in February and our main reason is to see Fuji. TIA

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,022 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

If your main reason is to see Fuji, there is a chance that you might not see it from Mt. Hakone area (Ashinoko). Hakone is popular as an onsen (hot spring bath) and mountain resort and the Fuji view is an added bonus. Perhaps you might book a hotel near one of the five lakes, where there is more chance to catch the view (you might still go to Hakone, and take a bus from there to Kawaguchiko, one of the five lakes). Search through this site and pick a hotel that offers the food that suits you, and if possible, the one that has onsen.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 20:52
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

If your itinerary is flexible, you could watch for a very clear day and take a day trip to Hakone. It's fun and easy, with many kinds of transportation (switchback railway, cable car, ropeway, boat) to entertain the kids. Check out the links to Hakone Free Pass and Hakone Round Course here: japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html#jump_orientation

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

With kids along, I second RogerR's suggestion. They will probably enjoy the variety of the route. And when you get to the top of the cable car, Fuji-san is just right there, as if you could reach out and touch it. Unless it's cloudy.......

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,504 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

If your main purpose is to see Fujisan, I must recommend Fuji 5 lakes over Hakone. Of course, you can do both over 2-3 days as yobeekool suggests:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
167 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

i traveled solo, so i guess it's different with two kids.

here's what you can do:

1. express train is more economical and faster than local.

from shinjuku station, take the kaji local express to Otsuki.

@ Otsuki, you can take a cute train (it's decorated with cartoon characters of Mt. Fuji) RT for 2200 to Kawaguchiko.

2. however, you SHOULD go here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6917.html

it's well worth the train stop! basically you meander exactly 10-15 min. through a small town to a ridiculously large number of steps up to go the pagoda. actually, you won't get lost, since you can SEE the pagoda from the train station. so just head in that direction!! =)

anyway, after you climb a ridiculous large number of steps,keep on climbing...and eventually, you'll reach this hilly bank, where you have the BEST view of Mt. Fuji.

3. anyway, hakone is pretty peaceful too. i only made a day trip, but there is lots to do....hot springs, lake activities, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73814175@N06/?saved=1

6. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 21:19