We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

I am travelling to Tokyo and also to Kyoto in September with my husband,1 year old baby and mother in law. We are staying a week at each place. Can anyone suggest any reasonably priced apartments that have 2 bedrooms or hotel suites with a kitchen/kitchenette? We have learnt from experience that we need a separate room for our baby, as he is not a good sleeper, and I definitely want my mother in law to have one too!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

try Oakwood Apartments with several locations around Tokyo. This type of accomadation is quite limited in Tokyo.

Also Somerset Apartments have 2br

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,786 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

Oakwood website here:

oakwood.com/serviced-apartments/…Tokyo.html

How about a machiya in Kyoto?

http://www.kyoto-okoshiyasu.com/en/machiya/

http://www.kyoto-machiya.com/eng/

Apartments in Kyoto:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…kyoto

San Francisco
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

Oakwood is no longer accepting reservations for under 30 days at a time due to government order / fear from H1N1 swine flu. We have had reservations for over 6 months and Oakwood just cancelled on us a month before our trip. Don't risk it.

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

thanks for the tip, that must be so frustrating for you, given you booked 6 months ago...

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

Just thought I would echo Jim's post, we too have had a booking for three months wit Oakwood and they just cancelled! Mind you only after I contacted them to say i hope all was in order. Hope they lose their spot as no 1 on TA, they no longer deserve the rating. Has any one got some tips for a family of 4 adults who need space and self catering facility close to the action ( where ever that may be!)

Travellearner

Oz
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

Shibuyakko has offered the best links for your accommodation needs in this instance....

I can understand your frustration and the inconvenience of the cancellation of the oakwood apartments but you must be thankful that they did call prior to your departure...

During our travel in peak season 2008 (Sakura) our family of 4 turned up to our 'confirmed and paid for' accommodation (after a long day of travel and sightseeing) ..to find the hotel had misplaced our booking .... we had no where to stay....

Mesa, AZ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

We booked months ago for a trip in November and we too just had our reservation canceled. There are so many frustrating parts of this that I don't know where to begin.

They have "negotiated" a higher rate with another location, but not actually booked it for us.

The other location is also offers apartment/extended stay. If they are accepting reservations why isn't Oakwood, unless this is a knee-jerk reaction on Oakwood's part? And why, if this is an H1N1 issue, would regular hotels offering shorter stays and similar amenities not be affected? What is the difference between staying 8 nights at the Oakwood and 8 nights at the Mandarin? Do they think people who want to save money and have their own kitchenette are more likely to be diseased?

And when we try to contact them no one is available to take the call. Only US reps who basically shrugged and agreed that this is a dumb decision. They sounded exhausted and mentioned numerous complaints they've received not only for advanced reservations but for people leaving tomorrow. Granted, that is not as bad as arriving and finding you have no reservation but it is pretty close.

If this isn't rectified soon I hope people begin downranking this property.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

Hi

Just booked great Machiya ( ?) hope this is correct spelling, from VRBO website for half the price of hotel or even Ryokan in Kyoto for our family of 4. Very pleased with service and prompt contact thus far. have used this site across the world and never had a problem.

Good luck

Newcastle,Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

After much searching just about every possible accommodation option I have also just booked an apartment through VRBO in October in both Kyoto(5 nights) and Tokyo(4 nights). So far the service has been great. You actually deal with the individual owners. The communication has been quick and efficient, and basically easy to follow. I am looking forward to our stay. The VRBO website also has lots of reviews to look at.

a possible site to use is a direct link to one of the owners in Tokyo:

www.liveinasia.com

10. Re: 2 bedroom suites/apartments in Tokyo and Kyoto ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 16:16