We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in Tokyo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, N.Y.
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Two Days in Tokyo

We will be in Tokyo for two days before starting a Tour throughout Japan. What is a suggested out-of-the way itinerary to see?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

Don't know what you mean by "out of the way."

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

New York, N.Y.
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

Thanks - - - I understand that I need to elaborate. We have a 1-day "tour" that covers a rapid drive-through of Ginza, Akihabara and Shinjuku, with apparent stops at Senso-ji and the Meiji Shrine. I would like "out-of-the-way" recommendations to stroll through - - such as street markets or quaint neighborhoods - - which are not flooded with tourists.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,500 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3012.html

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

Understand. If you scroll through Dave's list and avoid the major attractions, you will avoid tourists, however, you can't expect to avoid crowds in general in Tokyo. What you seek is in the outlying prefectures.

Even with tourists around, after awhile I doubt if you'll notice them as they blend into the ambiance of a crowded city.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,788 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

Tsukiji Fish Market (inner and outer markets)

Odaiba

Kichijoji (shopping area with less people and more local feel, 15 minutes west of Shinjuku)

Shibuya

Another possibility is to take day trips out of Tokyo (if they are not covered by the tour). Possibilities include Hakone, Mt. Fuji and Nikko.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

Ueno is a nice area, it's quiet compared the other parts of Tokyo (e.g., Shinjuku). You can stroll around Ueno Park and the Ameyoko Market near the Ueno train station is also interesting.

8. Re: Two Days in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:23