We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking along the river

Greater London...
Level Contributor
114 posts
217 reviews
99 helpful votes
Walking along the river

Hello all!

I live in London and one of the things I really enjoy about the city is the riverside. It's great to walk along the Thames path on a nice day. I'll be in Tokyo at the end of October. I was wondering if you are able to do the same and walk along the by the riverside? Is it accessible? I'll be pretty central so that's really the stretch of riverside that I'll potentially visiting.

22 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
29,162 posts
69 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking along the river

Yes, there are several riverside walk trails in Tokyo. Do you know in which part of Tokyo would you be staying?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
58,651 posts
67 reviews
149 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking along the river

Sumida River = https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking along the river

A good place to access the Sumida River might be from Asakusa station.

I once strolled along Arakawa river in the vicinity of the historic Akasuimon *red floodgate): https:/….W3iEwLgnbv8 It's not far from JR Akabane Station or Akabane-Iwabuchi subway station, https://goo.gl/maps/DVeo1TKdnVM2 This is a bit out of the way from parts of central Tokyo but only 15 minutes by direct train from Shinjuku or Tokyo Station to Akabane Station. The river is in a broad grassy floodplain with various sports fields between levies. I found it unexciting but pleasant.

I enjoy strolling the waterfront of Tokyo Bay at Odaiba: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
39 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking along the river

You can walk along the river in Tokyo, but there are not many sightseeing spots along the river like the Thames river.

Therefore, I do not recommend it to people coming to Japan for the first time.

On the river in Tokyo, the most sightseeing spots along the Sumida River.

Besides, Arakawa, Tamagawa and Edogawa are big rivers.

As there is a sea in Tokyo, it is also recommended to cruise the Sumida River from Asakusa and go to the sea (Odaiba, Hamarikyu).

I crossed the bridge in Sumida Park from Asakusa and went to Kototoi dango in Mukojima(there are also juice shops called kado and Chomeiji sakuramochi shop nearby), drinking beer on the building of Asahi Beer, crossing the bridge I has returned to Asakusa.

While walking along the Sumida River, I did not see a ship crossing the bridge, but I was glad I could see the water gate.

Although it is not a sightseeing spot much with a canal, Tennozu Isle's deck(seafortsquare) is also recommended.

Although it is not a tourist spot here, it is also good to walk along the canal, from Monzen-nakacho and Kiba to LaLaport Toyosu.

LaLaport Toyosu also has a cruise ship.

I personally like the scenery of Toyosu park behind LaLaport Toyosu.

Edited: 19 August 2018, 08:29
New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
389 reviews
280 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking along the river

You'll probably be visiting Asakusa at some point during your time in Tokyo, so walking along the Sumida river there is quite pleasant. There is a riverside path that goes past some old-fashioned boats that are used for dinner cruises, and there are nice views of Skytree.

UK
Level Contributor
222 posts
85 reviews
103 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking along the river

We are similar - love Thames strolls!

We've just got backed and enjoyed a stroll by Asakusa like others have recommended.

We also liked being by the water in obadia.

I don't know if you're visiting anywhere else, but loved our river walks in Kyoto and by the canal in Osaka too.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
114 posts
217 reviews
99 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking along the river

Thank you so much everybody! That's all very helpful.

@Shibuyakko -

I'm actually near the river where I am going to be staying. I'm going to be in a hostel called Plantzye it's in the Chuo Ward. This is the address Planetyze Hostel, 2 Chome-24 Higashinihonbashi, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan

@haro1210 -

Maybe not much of a sightseeing place but my idea of sight seeing is probably very different from most people. Of course I will see quite a few of the big hitters but a lot of my time will be spent just wandering the streets, popping into every day shops, hanging out generally and yes strolling along the river. I just want to soak in as much every day Japanese life as possible. It's just so cool to be there and experience the country. I don't even really have to do much of anything in the way of typical tourist sights.

@Selsy -

Not too far from Asakusa, I think, so that would probably be a good possibility.

@Sarah6969pink -

yay, kindred waterside spirits! Thames walks are great aren't they? There's so much variety too, depending on where you go. One of my favorite is to walk Wandsworth Bridge, through Battersea Park, and down to the South Bank.

I would love to visit Kyoto but time and expense are going to prohibit that I think. I'll probably just concentrate on Tokyo with at least one day trip out of the city to get a feel for Japan. London isn't really England. The city is so different from the rest of what the UK is actually like. I'm sure it's the same with Tokyo and most big cities.

Once again. Thank you everybody for your help. It's appreciated.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Walking along the river

Your hotel is a minute from the Sumida River, with its river walk: https://goo.gl/maps/gYopmMAwjqJ2

Heading north, it's 2.5 km to Asakusa; I don't know if you can walk the whole way along the river.

In past years, the river walk was lined with a homeless encampment, but that seems to be gone so far as I can tell from Google Maps satellite view.

I recommend the Edo-Tokyo Museum,not far across the river from your hostel. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3070.html

Greater London...
Level Contributor
114 posts
217 reviews
99 helpful votes
9. Re: Walking along the river

Thanks. That's great. Looking on Google maps it does appear like I can walk all the way to Asakusa! I'll probably do that on my first day. I spotted an unagi restaurant too! I really want to try the unagi. Thanks for your help :)

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
29,162 posts
69 reviews
82 helpful votes
10. Re: Walking along the river

The Unagi restaurant on the river walk is Maekawa, one of the best known in Tokyo. It's been in business at the same spot for more than 200years. They only serve wild-caught and a special farm-raised brand (Bando Taro) unagi. It's a great restaurant but quite expensive. Also know that good unagi places start cooking unagi after taking your order, so it takes 30+ minutes. Just a heads up. Enjoy!

Reply to: Walking along the river
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted