We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

Anybody affected by this? My Airbnb booking for this July was canceled by the host due to this law. Is this for all Airbnb or some host that doesn’t comply? I’m looking now for Apartments or hotels.

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,332 Reviews
from USD 140.90*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
955 Reviews
from USD 65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
125 Reviews
from USD 54.50*
82 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
1. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

The majority of Airbnb apartments in Japan are illegal at this moment. some hosts are trying to comply with the new law, some will continue their illigal business, other will end.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

So Airbnb is still questionable, book a hotel instead.

Thank you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

The San Francisco city government has gotten more serious about enforcing its restrictions on short-term non-hotel rentals to tourists, resulting in a massive reduction in such rentals when the compliance deadlines hit.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

The status of Airbnb seems very confused right now - even to many of the Japanese. Many prefectures and even wards, especially in the bigger cities like Tokyo, have different rules. In some you can only rent out for weekends, some no more than 180 days per year (and some for even less), some neighborhoods not at all. Until this mess is sorted out - which might take years with the Japanese bureaucracy - I am going to stick to hotels.

Edited: 19 March 2018, 13:55
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,294 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

When booking an Airbnb, you always take the risk of the host canceling even before Minpaku Law comes into effect. I am sure many operators will continue their business even with the enactment of the new law.

14 posts
6. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

I would like to know also. Made reservation thru Airbnb for Aug last March before I knew about this law. i have email the host but until now no responds. At least your reservation was cancelled by host.

Level Contributor
4,385 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

There was someone on this forum somehow related to Hiroshima (?) although probably not a local resident who went totally madly angry about the law for some reason, who was a bit persistent on stating that it was so typical of Japan. May peace be with him. I hope he finds some reconciliation with life.

I hope everyone finds a lawful solution. There should be many apartment rentals legally operating according to laws and standards and listed as such on the local administration's website.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 04:50
dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
8. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

We booked our apartment through booking.com. However they also advertise on Airbnb. I note their ad on Airbnb now states the following "We are a fully legal accommodation service, we have all permits from local and national government and we comply with the new 2016 regulations".

I'm guessing some owners are more law abiding than others...

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
9. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

Here's an article for those who are trying to figure it out.

https:/….WwTFay97EU0

No doubt the owners, as well as the tourists, are trying to figure it out.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
128 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018

We have an AirBnB booked for Kanazawa for the weekend of the Matsuri festival. Booked before i had any clue it was potentially an issue in Japan, and now it's pretty much too late to do anything about it even if we wanted to, as there's no affordable accommodation left in Kanazawa for next weekend. I went into our booking last week to check something and noticed the apartment had been removed from the Kanazawa listings. Contacted the host who assured me our booking was ok still. There's actually only something like 140 Air BnB listings in total in Kanazawa now (there were loads previously), so I can only assume that's the new laws having a massive effect. Hopefully our booking truly is ok because the new Minpaku law doesn't take effect til mid-June, after our visit (I haven't been able to find any information in English as to when Kanazawa's new law about weekend stays only takes effect). Because Plan B, if it all falls over when we actually arrive at the apartment in Kanazawa, is we have to abandon our 3 day stay in Kanazawa almost entirely.

If i was booking now, i'd be avoiding Air BnB, but hindsight is a great thing!

Reply to: Minpaku law starts June 15,2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted