We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Hotel Reservations

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Topic
Help with Hotel Reservations

Of the various hotel reservation systems I used, two were in Japanese (Sapporo Aspen and Shirogane Kankou). With the help of the Babelfish translation website, I managed to fill in the reservation forms and received some sort of email confirmation (or so I think!) from each of them, complete with a reservation number. However, neither asked me for a credit card number, unlike the English-language hotel reservation service, Rakuten, which not only asked me for my credit card details, it has already billed me upfront. Now I am worried: did I do it right?

Using babelfish, I translated the email that was sent to me. Most of it was straightforward, including one part which said to print out the email and bring it along to the hotel. The only part I do not understand is this:

この度は宿泊予約サービスをご利用頂きありがとうございました。インターネットでのご予約を下記の通り承りましたので、ご確認お願い致します

This is what babelfish coughed up: This time thank you for utilizing lodging reservation service. Because reservation with Internet was received as mentioned below, verification we ask.

Do I need to do anything else to secure my rooms? Am I supposed to reply to verify the details? Can anyone help, please?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
48,896 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Hotel Reservations

You should send an email to confirm.

Japanese hotels typically do not require a credit card guarantee. It's part of the culture and proper etiquette that if you don't plan to stay at the hotel, you cancel the reservation.

Rakuten's English site is aimed at foreign travelers so credit card guaranteed is required. Some hotels, when serving foreign guests, require credit card details as well.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Hotel Reservations

What you received is a voucher, as good as a reservation-confirmation, even better.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Hotel Reservations

You received a note for hotel booking confirmation. You don't need to reply anything if date of check-in and out, your personal infomration, category of room and the plan (package) are correct. Here are MY translation.

この度は宿泊予約サービスをご利用頂きありがとうございました。

"thank you for making a reservation from us"

インターネットでのご予約を下記の通り承りましたので、ご確認お願い致します

"As we do receiving your reservation offer from Internet as follows, plase make sure. (Regards)"

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Hotel Reservations

Thank you everyone especially Junechan! It's such a relief to know that everything is settled :)

5. Re: Help with Hotel Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 01:21