We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
Hotel Recommendation

I'd like to visit and stay 2 nights. Ideally, I'd like a place that is close to the train station that serves a la carte meals. It can be a hotel or ryokan. If a ryokan, it must be able to modify meals as we don't eat fish or poultry.

I was really hoping for a ryokan with a private open air bath but I'm having trouble finding one that will modify meals for us.

Thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Ryokan with included a-la-carte meals, virtually unheard of. No fish basically eliminates Japanese meals except vegetarian (as fish is used for the dashi - soup base - used for sauces and cooking, soy sauce for sushi, etc..). So you want a hotel with no meal plans, or plans with buffet or western meals.

Edited: 17 January 2015, 03:18
new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation

I asked for a ryokan that could modify meals, not for a ryokan with a la carte meals. For a la carte meals, I was referring to a hotel.

This is what I would like, close to the train station:

Hotel that has a few choices of restaurants. Buffet is okay for breakfast. Dinner must be a la carte restaurant meals.

Ryokan that will modify its meals. Fish stock is fine but no fish or poultry or raw foods. So I'm guess I'm talking basically vegtables.

Ideally, I'd like the hotel or ryokan to offer an in room private open air bath. If not, then reserved rotemburos.

Thanks.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation

And your budget is? It'll be hard to find what you're looking for as Ito is big on seafood, but if you give me a good budget (no less than 25,000yen pp for a ryokan with meals and 30,000 for a hotel without meals) I'll look up my list of accommodations in Ito. Does it have to be Ito or Atami and Atagawa OK?

Edited: 17 January 2015, 05:58
new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation

My budget for a ryokan is 25,000 - 32 ,500 per person, per night. The hotel, without food is $200 - 325 per night.

Arani is okay also.

Thanks.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Sorry. I meant Atami is okay.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Hakone area would be good also but I've been there several times already and wanted to try something new.

Might there be someplace else that's easy to get to from Kyoto but on the way to Tokyo?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Look into the Kazeno Kaori in Ito. My son ordered no fish, all meat dinner here when we stayed, so I know they'll cater to your needs. However, you'll need to call the hotel and discuss your options and preferences in advance and honestly, I'm not sure how well you can do that in English:

http://www.kazenokaori.jp/english/index.html

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Thanks, Shibuyakko. I'll take a look at their website. Hopefully, they'll have an email address so I can write them.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Hotel Recommendation

yoyaku@kazenokaori.jp

It's a luxurious place with great personal service. I'm sure you'll like it.

new york
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Hotel Recommendation

This hotel looks great! It has everything I'm looking for!

I just sent them an email. I am really hoping they can accommodate our meal requests. One is a vegetarian request with no fish (but with fish broth) and the other request is no fish, chicken or raw foods. Unfortunately, we don't like fish and I don't eat poultry.

I have to send them another email because I forgot to ask them about their all you can drink plan as I don't know what that means exactly.

I'll let you know if I get a reply. Thanks again.

Reply to: Hotel Recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ito
Recent Conversations