We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Medellin
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Hello Travellers!

I am going to Japan next week and I would like to know how is the best way to get to Takayama from Tokyo using the Shinkansen Line.

I might get into the Shinkansen in Tokyo Station, could anyone please let me know the destination, which city to change trains and which train should I get to get in to Takayama.

Regards,

Miguel

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,350 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Take the Hikari Shinkansen train to Nagoya and transfer to the Ltd. Express Hida. Go to a ticket counter in Tokyo Station on the day you travel and they'll reserve a seat for both trains. There usually is no need to book seats in advance.

Medellin
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Thanks!,

All the JP Pass need a reservation? there is any website to do so, or just reserve the seat on the day we take the train?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
3. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Only if you intend to sit in a designated seat... You will be fine reserving your seat on the day of your travel, except you are trying to do so during a busy travelling time of the year.

Medellin
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Hello Shot

will be using the JR Pass from March24th until March30th.

I guess is not the busiest time of the year right?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
5. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

Not at all. You can rest assured you travel leisurely, unless you hit a place that will be teeming with kids, like Disney or USJ.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

You can check out the schedules on www.hyperdia.com.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,776 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

When using - http://www.hyperdia.com/ - make sure to click on the Search Details link and un-check the Nozomi and Private Railway box. The search results will give you routing options which you can use your JR pass.

8. Re: Tokyo to Takayama using JR Rail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:43