We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
20 posts
114 reviews
81 helpful votes
Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

I recently used the Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass to travel from Osaka Kansai airport, to Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go and back to Osaka. This pass is for 5 days travel starting mid night to midnight. On my day 6 and 7 day at Osaka I used the I coca card.

I bought the pass on line from japan-rail-pass.com about 2 months before travelling. A token was send to me by courier within a week. I exchange it at the JR office at Kansai airport for a pass. It's convenient and cost saving for my trip around the area. Just show it to the station officer at the exit. At the same time check with them which platform and time for the train. We may reserve seat on the train, but its not necessary unless during peak season.

I travelled beyond the area to Kurobe Gorge. At exit point, the adjusted fare will be calculated and paid to the station officer at the exit gate. Just show them your pass and tell them where you came from.

There is a need to reserve your Nohi bus seat. Reservation can be done a day before at station or by phone.

At Osaka we can exit at any JR station.

91 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,132 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
1. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Technically, Takayama Hokuriku Pass allows the user to reserve seats up to 4 journeys. When I used the Pass though, none of the staff at the counter even bothered to stamp that I used one of the allowed reservations. Also, I highly recommend you reserve both the Thunderbird and Hida Express journeys regardless of peak vs slow season. Even if you just reserve a couple of days in advance, it takes the guessing game out of the way.

>>>We may reserve seat on the train, but its not necessary unless during peak season.

Nohi bus *must* be reserved days to even weeks (up to 30 days) in advance during peak season. If you are traveling during year-end when lots of tourists come, the buses are fully reserved a couple of weeks in advance.

>>>There is a need to reserve your Nohi bus seat. Reservation can be done a day before at station or by phone.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Hi,

A few questions regarding the pass:

>>> Also, I highly recommend you reserve both the Thunderbird and Hida Express journeys regardless of peak vs slow season. Even if you just reserve a couple of days in advance, it takes the guessing game out of the way.

How do you reserve a seat? Just get your pass stamped at the counter before boarding? Will they issue a separate ticket for the reservation or they would just stamp a seat number on your pass?

Anyone tried taking the train from Kanazawa to Takayama (via Toyama)? Is the Hida Express from Toyama to Takayama covered by the pass? Or only the slower JR Takayama Line train?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
190 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

In general, you may reserve (or buy) any JR ticket by going to any JR station ticket counter. With a pass, a reserved seat ticket will be issued stating the date, train #, car and seat #, if seats are available on the desired train route.

>>Is the Hida Express from Toyama to Takayama covered by the pass?

yes. study the terms carefully.

http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/

Edited: 06 December 2016, 18:05
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,132 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
4. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

To reserve a seat using a rail pass, go to the ticket window, show your pass, and ask for a seat on the train you want. You will be given a reserved seat ticket. When the conductor checks your tickets on board, you will need to show him/her both the pass and the ticket.

Normally, one takes Nohi bus between Kanazawa - Shirakawagp - Takayama, which is covered by the Takayama Hokuriku Pass. You will save transport time unless you decide to visit Toyama itself.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

I use hyperdia and it showed the route but not sure if it's cover by the pass.

9:16 begin KANSAI AIRPORT 

[78 Min] through LTD. EXP HARUKA 10

10:34 transfer KYOTO 

10:56 [ Arrival track No.30 / Departure track No.11 ] 

[37 Min] through SHINKANSEN HIKARI 464

11:33 transfer NAGOYA 

11:43 [ Arrival track No.15 / Departure track No.11 ] 

[146 Min] through LTD. EXP (WIDE VIEW) HIDA 9

14:09 end TAKAYAMA 

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
20 posts
114 reviews
81 helpful votes
6. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

All JR train on the allowed route can be used. Going beyond or outside the allowed route will need extra fare. You need to pay extra fare when travelling on non JR trains.(Extra fares may be paid upon exit, or you may buy the ticket before you travel)

The trains covered by this pass: Kansai Airport - Osaka city area : Hanwa/ Kansai -airport lines

Osaka city - Kyoto- Kanazawa : Hokuriku/Kosei/Tokaida lines

Kanazawa- Toyama : Hokuriku Shinkansen

Toyama- Nagoya: Tokaido/Takayama lines

cannot use on Tokaido Shinkansen from Shin Osaka - Kyoto (need to pay extra)

Non reserved allowed on JR limited express, express, rapid and local train.

Non reserved allowed on Hokuriku Shinkansen between Kanazawa-Toyama.

Better you check:

http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/

BTY what is your route plan?

I think its better to go to Kanazawa (stay a day) and take the Nohi bus to Takayama.

You must reserve a seat on the Nohi bus (can be done on japanbusonline, or upon arrival at Kanazawa make a reservation at Nohi station, at least a day before).

Or go to Shirakawago for a day , and travel by bus to Takayama.

The route you have chosen on Hyperdia goes to Nagoya first and back to Takayama (not really on the way), seems to go further and back again.

Click on the Train timetable or Interval time table (on Hyperdia route chosen) to see information on train route.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
7. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Thanks for the reply. I will be flying in to Kansai @ 6.50 pm. From there will go to Kanazawa. Already booked 1.10 pm Nohi tickets to Takayama. Not sure I will make it on time to take the 8.45 train (Kansai - Kanazawa. ). Need to go through immigration and getting my Pass exchanged. If I do mananged, I will reached Kanazawa 12.17. From there I will need to look for the Nohi Bus Station.

Planning a Plan B now.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,132 posts
175 reviews
175 helpful votes
8. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

It sounds like you are arriving at 6:50am, not 6:50pm? If that's the case, you have plenty of cushion to catch the 8:43am Haruka Express and then continuing onto Kanazawa. Once you get to Kanazawa, use the Kenroluen exit to find the bus building. Show your pass and give the staff your reservation number so they can give you the bus tickets at no additional charge. The link below is a great guide to Kanazawa station:

jprail.com/travel-informations/basic-informa…

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
9. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Sorry . Yes it's 6.50 am. Thanks for the response. Appreciate that

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
20 posts
114 reviews
81 helpful votes
10. Re: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass

Are you flying by Airasia? On my last trip from KL to Osaka there was a 2 hours delay, they informed a few days before my departure. Please give yourself enough time to catch the next train.

Collect your travel pass at the JR office in the building in front when you exit the airport. From Kansai we changed train at Shin Osaka to Kanazawa. Buy your food before you travel bec food not sold on this train.

As you enter the train station, go via the gate at the end where there is a guard, show him your pass. You may check with him the time and platform number. They are very helpful.

Reply to: Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted