We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra/Aqaba question

glasgow
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Petra/Aqaba question

Good evening

I am travelling to Israel in October and would like to cross the border to Jordan and visit both Petra and the Fort at Aqaba. We arrive late into Tel Aviv on Tuesday evening and are driving from the airport straight to Eilat. Wednesday we are going to do a tour from Eilat to Petra, however very few group tours seem to stop at Aqaba on the way back to the border.

My plan was to catch the bus tour at Eilat and cross the border/ do the full day at Petra with the group. On return the Wednesday evening get dropped off in Aqaba or at the Jordan side of the border and get to a hotel in Aqaba. The Thursday morning get up early, see Aqaba and the fort then head back to our hotel at Eilat where we would have left our car. We would then leave to travel north as we have to be in Tel Aviv on the Wednesday as we have an important meeting in the Evening.

I hope I have explained this ok but I really wanted to see the Fort at Aqaba aswell as Petra but only way of doing this other than my suggestion is by paying $900 for a private tour.

Any advice I would be most greatly

8 replies to this topic
Amman
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
1. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

Fair price if they drive you in a Rolls Royce with driver.

Plenty of other posts about transport between Aqaba and Petra that will show you alternatives.

Petra
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

900 USD ??? For how many people ? To give you an idea of cost: Visa cost = 40 JOD since you will only spend 1 night in Jordan. Taxi to Petra = 55 JOD. Entry ticket Petra 1 day = 50 JOD. Guide (if you want) = 50 JOD. Hotel cost depends on your choice obviously. Taxi to Aqaba 45 JOD Tax from Aqaba to border = 10 JOD. Add a little extra for food and drinks and that's it. No need for an expensive tour if you ask me.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

glasgow
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

Petra and Wadi Rum tour based on Two people, one day tour $915 including all taxes, fees and entrance into Petra.

Stuart

glasgow
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

Was trying to get info on what I was specifically after. Not much info on tours visiting Aqaba Fort.

Petra
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

I can't imagine even one tour operator including the fort in Aqaba in a program, too many other things in Jordan that are more interesting. But as I said before it's easy to do on your own.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

Do you realize how far it is driving from Tel Aviv to Eilat? That may be too much for you after travelling from Glasgow.

glasgow
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

Patricia

I am thinking this could be the plan now.

-Tuesday night Eilat

-Wed morning taxi to border

- go through border

-taxi from border to Petra (plenty taxis waiting?)

-full day Petra

- return to Aqaba (plenty taxis waiting?)

-stay night in Aqaba

-Thursday up early go to Fort then head for the border.

I know the drive at night from Tel Aviv to Eilat will be about 4 hours? I have drove in Israel before but not any further south than Beersheba. If we don't do the drive when we arrive we won't get to Petra so it has to be done. What is the road from Beersheba to Eilat like?

Thank you for the responses. All great info.

Do you think that sound manageable?

8. Re: Petra/Aqaba question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2018, 13:40

Reply to: Petra/Aqaba question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted