We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devil's Pool on my own?

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Devil's Pool on my own?

Hi,

I would like to visit Devil's Pool on my own as I believe the tour run by Tongabezi only allows you to stay there for a short time.

I will be going in the middle of December, would really appreciate any directions to get to Devil's Pool.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

You can't. I believe you can only visit as part of the Island tour. Swimming in the pool is only done with experienced guides on hand as it can be dangerous.

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

I've read some accounts of people who have done it with just local guides, instead of with the tour company.

That costs only about USD $10 per person... Any idea where to find such guides?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

I'd ask the people who have written about doing it at that price.

Having stood on the island and looked down over the falls I'd want to be sure that I had a qualified guide who knew what he/she was doing before I ventured near.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

Livingston Island, where the pool is located, is part of a World Heritage Site and entrance is limited to 16 persons + guides at any given time. It is possible that a local might take you there in contravention of the UN charter but you shouldn't be surprised if problems arise as a result. The legit tour is very nice and well worth the price.

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

Okay, having been the pool and back with a licensed guide by Tongabezi, I'd highly recommend getting the guide as all these people above me have mentioned.

We did the walk across the top of the falls which I believe is a much better experience than merely taking a speedboat to the pool. You'll need to be in reasonably good shape to do it though.

I'm a daredevil myself but I daresay it's close to suicide to attempt this on your own without a legit guide. You probably wouldn't even be sure which pool to jump into. The guide we got was reliable and volunteered to take many many pictures for us. Well worth it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

Thanks for coming back with a report, and very glad you enjoyed the experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

through where do you organise this tour? I am looking at going mid this year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

http://tongabezi.com/livingstone_island.php

These are the people who run the trips, but you can usually book through your lodge/hotel.

Columbia Falls...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

The pool tours are closed now,due to high water and will be for months to come,it costs $120 which includes a great lunch and booze,well worth it,did it 4 weeks ago.Pictures on royinzambia.blogspot.com if you care to look,

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Devil's Pool on my own?

My husband and I both signed up to do this, but I chickened out at the end when I saw how close the pool was to the edge. I agree with the other posters that anyone who does this without a guide is risking his/her life. I stood as close to the pool as my shaking knees would allow and took a photo of my husband jumping into the pool. We used it on our holiday card and everyone wanted to know how we Photoshopped the falls in. Ha!

I really enjoyed the lunch and chatting with folks from around the world (including two women over from Zimbabwe for the day) and thought the whole experience was well worth the money.

I'd definately recommend checking the water level at various times of the year and arrange a trip during the time when the pools tours are operating. It was one of the highlights of our trip to Zambia.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.AuthenticLuxuryTravel.net

Get answers to your questions about Livingstone