We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The new Toka Leya Camp

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
The new Toka Leya Camp

Has anyone heard any news about this new camp opening in May near Vic Falls? My booking agent is recommending it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Hello bsp,

I posted an answer on your Vic Falls thread, but for the benefit of future travellers who may want to learn about the camp I've copied it here:

-------------------------------------------

Toka Leya is a new Classic-level Wilderness Safaris camp which is scheduled to open in May. It will be an all-inclusive tented camp (the first tented option in Vic Falls) downstream of River Club and Tongabezi, in a position within the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park where you can see the spray from the Falls. There will be 10 en-suite twin/double tents and 2 family units, all with indoor and outdoor showers. The tents and public areas will be connected by raised walkways.

No photos have been released yet, but I've seen the plans and it looks like a lovely camp. The tents will be set along the river bank and should have great views, while the main lodge's deck will extend a bit out over the water. The entire camp will be shaded by a canopy of trees.

Activities are included in the rates and will be similar to those offered by River Club, Toka Leya's sister camp.

If you want to see what WS Classic camps look like, visit their website (http://www.wilderness-safaris.com).

Cheers,

Julian

(owner, Timeless Africa)

Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Anyone visited Toka Leya yet? According to the website, they were on schedule to open on May 1. We are booked for October at Toka Leya.

Washington, D.C
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

My husband and I stayed there from May 7 - 10. We loved it! There were a few "bugs" that they were still working out since they had only been open for 7 days when we arrived, but all in all everything was fantastic. They were still working on building the spa while we were there, should be open by October though.

The tents are wonderful! A/C (which will be handy in October), indoor/outdoor showers, double vessel sinks, large deck overlooking the Zambezi (at least it did in May, you will probably have more dry land right outside in October), cozy bed with mosquito net.

The food is fantastic and the staff are super attentive! Make sure you get Richard to make you one of his brick oven pizzas!

We will definately be visiting again!

Let me know if you have any more questions about Toka Leya. I would be happy to answer if I can.

BTW, I will be posting my review with some photos on here in a few days.

Hope this helps!

Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Thank you so much for the information. I was especially happy to hear that the A/C was working well since it is supposed to be 95 degrees in Oct.!

I'm glad you had such a great time.

What activities did you take part in?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Can you tell me what the cost was???? and would the accomodations work for 4 people??

Washington, D.C
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

While we were there we went for a sunset cruise on the African Queen (Toka Leya does their own sunset cruise from the camp at no additional charge), went on an elephant back safari, went on a canoe safari on the mighty Zambezi(supposed to be whitewater rafting but the river was too full so it was closed for rafting at the time - yet another reason I must go back), took a micro-lite flight over Victoria Falls, toured Vic Falls, and did the Flying Fox, Absailing and Gorge Swing in Batoka Gorge.

Toka Leya does 2 game drives a day and while we were there they had great luck in spotting the Rhino. We saw many elephants, baboons, impala, giraffe and zebra while we driving down the road to get to the camp.

Once you arrive, George, the Activities Coordinator will sit down with you to organize whatever activities you would like, if you do not have any already planned. He will sit down with you every night to plan your wake up time for the next day and to go over the following days activities.

As far as cost goes, the best thing I can tell you is to try to find out online somewhere. I think that it is comparable to places like The Falls and The River Club.

We won the trip so I honestly have no idea on exact price.

Washington, D.C
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

The family tents would work for a party of 4. They only have a few of those, most are for a couple.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Thanks so much for the info!!! You won the trip!!! You lucky people!!!

Ciao..

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

i also went to toka leya. it is awesome! i did not stay there as i was at the river club nearby.

the place is all inclusive of food, alcohol, laundry, falls tour (zambia side), city tour, sunset cruise, and simonga village tour (two total included). my kids especially loved the simonga village. the basic rate for toka leya should be around $440 per night per person. this would be discounted for longer stays that also include other wilderness safari properties in bots and zambia. children also get a discount. you also need a livingstone airport transfer which would be about $20. if you instead transfer to/from kasane by road that would be about $70.

yes - it does have AC and the rooms are pretty big.

This camp fits very well with a classic camp circuit of safari lodges.

Vermont
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
10. Re: The new Toka Leya Camp

Do you remember if there was a hair dryer in the bathroom at the Toka Leya Camp?

We can't use one in any camp in Botswana, so I wont bring it if there is one there.

Thanks, Shirlee

Get answers to your questions about Livingstone