We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Tours

We would like to do a tour while staying in Livinstone. We will be staying at the AVANI, which sounds like it is in close proximity to the falls. I have looked at tours that offer a 3 hour walking rhino tour, with a visit to Victoria Falls and then a sunset cruise in the evening. This sounds like alot to pack into one day, but we really only have about a day and an evening to visit sites. Questions would be- how long does it take to view the falls and do we need to book a falls tour if we are staying at the AVANI? Are the sunset cruises worth the extra $$? Thanks in advance for the input.

4 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
284 reviews
1. Re: Tours

The Avani literally has a door in the grounds that connects into the Falls NP and I believe you do not need to pay the park fees if you are staying there. You don't need a guide to enjoy the Falls - there are 3 well marked paths that you can follow. If time is limited the Boiling Pot is the one you can avoid (this is the route you take when white water rafting to enter the water). The other 2 paths stay high and offer spectacular views. 1.5 hours is probably all you need to walk around the Falls.

The sunset cruises are great (just pick your boat wisely), especially if you want to see wildlife. There is an abundance of beautiful birds, as well as hippo, crocodiles etc. However if your time is limited, the deck at the Royal Livingstone is a great place to soak up the atmosphere on the river. You still get to enjoy the sunset and will see the spray of the Falls and will usually be able to see and hear hippo - just remember to take your binoculars. This is next door to the Avani so an easy walk.

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Tours

Thank you for the input. Very helpful. So I think we will skip the falls tour and focus on the safari and sunset cruise. You mentioned being careful about the boat/ tour we choose. Do you think our hotel will point us in the right direction? I’ve read that there are pontoon style boats and regular boats. Any thoughts on scheduling the right cruise? Thanks again!

United States
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Tours

Do the rhino walk, you won't regret it. You don't have to book it along with anything else either. It is one of the most magical things you will do. The Avani and Royal Livingstone are in prime location of the falls and as the above poster already pointed out, you don't need a tour guide for the falls and you do have direct access. You can view the falls for as long or as little time as you want. I would do the rhino walk first thing if I could, then the falls, then the river cruise. You can easy fit all 3 into 1 day.

I like Mukuni Big 5's boat the Lion King. It is smaller, cheaper and they do a great job of giving information about the animals, the Country, the surrounding Countries, the Zambezi River, etc...but I have also been on the bigger boats and I like them too. The African Queen and Lady Livingstone are 2 others to look at but they are more expensive. The hotel will have their favorite boat and direct you to use that one, so do your research online and then choose the one you like best. The Avani can book any of them for you.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 22:50
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Tours

Thanks for the advice- greatly appreciated!

Reply to: Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone