We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailor prices?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tailor prices?

Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of what it would cost to get a very simple dress made. I've done some searching but can't seem to find any recent posts with prices.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated too thank you.

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailor prices?

Probably In the range of U$20-50. Try 3-4 tailors. Ask for a price and don't say yes to the first tailor. Quality of fabric will differ between tailors for all clothes, as will prices.

I would definitely say avoid the tailors with stalls in the old market. Especially stall no. 45 Ms Thu, she is a real con artist and scammer with her prices.

Go to the tailors on main streets and get a few quotes first. Most are nice and genuine, there's plenty of competition so you can bargain from original price. I reckon good rule is take 60-70% off the original quote. When they say no, say thanks and walk away. If they want your business, they'll call you back and agree on something closer to your offer. If they let you walk, then their quote is pretty close to their best price

Newcastle
Level Contributor
374 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailor prices?

We were recommended to one of the 'leading tailors' in the old town, which turned out to be ridiculous. My daughter wanted some work/corporate dresses, but even they weren't worth having made at the big names. We eventually had them done at a stall in the markets & it's turned out to be very successful.They don't want to make 'simple sun dresses' they are more interested in the tailored suits, pants, coats etc. I understand where they are coming from you can buy sundresses everywhere in the shops in the old town.

Hoi An is beautiful, we loved it, we found things of much better value out of the old town away from the tourist places.

Have fun

ColVal

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailor prices?

Hi there,

We were in Hoi an recently, had clothes made at one of the flash looking tailors, which turned out to be overpriced (didn't do our homework). We also had some clothes - work tops, coats made at a tailor opposite old market, paid $20aud for copies of a style of top I really like (took top with me), pleased with the outcome. Ladies at old market said all the expensive tailors buy their material from the market, you are really paying for their shop fit out and extra staff.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailor prices?

Hi Shar,

The ladies at the old market are not being honest in what they have told you. There are quite different tiers of tailors/seamstresses in Hoi An with quite different business models. There is plenty of diversity of quality (and pricing) that meets the top and bottom end of customer expectations, and everything in between.

You can certainly get better quality at cheaper prices that the "big 5-6" but you absolutely need to do your research and know your stuff.

BVF

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
562 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailor prices?

Don't go to the Central Market, ( Ripoff ) and poor quality, if you know what you want, shop around and barter, stay away from the Big named Tailors you can do a better deal at a smaller one ( I know it sounds easy with one million Tailors) I can recommend trying TrangTri Tailors for clothes and leatherwear, they don't deal with tour guides so can offer a genuine price, I have used them for over 10 years with no problems, check them out and shop around, they are OK. 👍👍👍

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailor prices?

Hi, do the prices you mention include fabric or is that extra?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailor prices?

Forget the Market if you want quality then Yaly is your place, stay at the lasenta hotel then you get 10/15% yes Yaly is a bit more expensive but there Staff is great and the quality better then even top Taylor's in Melbourne

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tailor prices?

oh dear....this is really false economy. The MUCH higher cost you pay staying at LaSenta, compared to similar quality hotels and the cost of the taxis into Hoi An for fittings and meals (given the lack of local restaurants) will be much higher than the "savings". Yes - Yaly and LaSenta (and AoBaBa and Oche and Ha An hotel for that matter) are owned by the Cu family - but if you get more than the basic made at Yaly, a 10% discount is simple to obtain - especially if you mention that you are a repeat customer.

If you do your research on this forum, there are so many better ways to get quality, cost effective tailoring than resorting to that.

East London, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tailor prices?

My friend and I have just been in Hoi An and had clothes made. We found out tailor opposite our hotel on Cua Dai St, so not in the heart of the Old Town area. I paid USD37 for tailored trousers - excellent workmanship, the seams were even lined inside. My friend paid about USD25 for casual drawstring tops. There's is nothing better than having something made to fit.

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Tailor prices?

I was very satisfied with tailoring and pricing at Yaly. There was plenty of fabric in the store to pick from. I can sew so I know quality material.

Reply to: Tailor prices?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted