We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry company?

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which ferry company?

I'm thinking of taking a day trip to Colonia from Buenos Aires coming november. I already found out there are 3 companies to choose from: Buquebus, Seacat and Colonia Express.

Is one better than the others in terms of reliability, service, location? Or are the all pretty much the same?

Thanks for any replies.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ferry company?

Reliability, service and location of Colonia Express is not as good the other two.

Buquebus is the most expensive and biggest company, but Seacat is sharing the same terminal, same check in counter, same ship with them. Just another name (originally it was a different company but maybe now it´s in the same one), and cheaper.

Edited: 02 July 2016, 12:03
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ferry company?

Thanks for your reply Mamaluc. Looks like Seacat is the best option.

If I go, it would be on Saturday Nov 5. Do you think I need to book tickets in advance for that date? Do the ferries get fully booked? Or can I buy tickets on the day of travel?

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
558 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ferry company?

Seacat is a lowcost/lowfare company owned by buquebus. I went with them last december and had no problems.

however, I bought only the tickets, not the day tour. since Colonia del Sacramento is very small, and you can explore it all by yourself, on foot.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ferry company?

Purchase in advance, for spring weekend (November is) is advisable due to popularity due to climate.

Con: with rain, it's boring /sad, in addition to seasickness possibility depending on wind and temperature. Not very common in Nov though.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ferry company?

Thanks Miguel S and Mamaluc! I will reserve in advance and hope for a nice sunny day!

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which ferry company?

We will be arriving in BA on Dec. 31 off of a cruise ship and want to take the ferry to Colonia. Should we buy the tickets on line ahead of time or just go to the ferry terminal upon arriving in BA? Also, we want to take a bus on Jan. 1 from Colonia to Montevideo and then take the last ferry back to BA. How can we accomplish this?

7. Re: Which ferry company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2017, 16:17