We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a couple of logistic notes

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
172 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
a couple of logistic notes

We just returned from a spur of the moment day trip to Colonia. As such, we hadn't done much research on options for the trip.

Buquebus and others seem to offer tours of Colonia in addition to the ferry transport. The hop on hop off bus costs US$25 per person. We took a taxi from the terminal to the center of the historical area. The fare was US$5, which seemed steep. Going back we used the meter and it was somewhat less. The taxi driver wanted to charge us US$40 for a ride through the residential area to the old bull ring and back to Colonial area. He finally agreed to go for $20. We also thought that a bit expensive until someone told us gas costs about US$8 per gallon.

Some nice restaurants stop serving between 4 and 8 pm. Don't know if this is usual or because it was Sunday of a holiday weekend. Considering it's definitely a tourist town, we were surprised. But, there were plenty of other outdoor spots so no problem.

Coming back, we iscovered we needed the remainder of our ticket from the journey over - it was our Uruguayan visa which had to be turned in. This wasn't obvious to us as folks just kept tearing pieces off the ticket. Be sure to keep it!

The Uruguayans give a really bad rate on Argentine pesos, so if you are paying in other than Uruguayan pesos, suggest using dollars. We worked out the effective rate on Argentine pesos and it was about 5 to US$1. At that store we definitely paid in USD.

One other suggestion - wear comfortable shoes with good soles. Walking on the old stone streets and uneven sidewalks can be very uncomfortable and somewhat treacherous.

It was an enjoyable trip and we recommend it. Just keep in mind some of the points above and it will be even more enjoyable.

Happy Travels

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a couple of logistic notes

Good information and useful reminders, Suenos. Glad you enjoyed your day.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a couple of logistic notes

"Coming back, we iscovered we needed the remainder of our ticket from the journey over - it was our Uruguayan visa which had to be turned in."

Could you expand on this. I find it quite confusing. US citizens don't need a visa to enter Uruguay.

Silvia

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a couple of logistic notes

Silvia, we don´t need a visa for uruguay either, but when you enter the country, or when you enter the buquebus you get an entry stamp in your passport that is good for 90 days if you are a tourist. You also get a small narrow piece of paper along with all the other paper work that you must keep and return on exiting. It´s a crazy system and I believe they are about to change the system as they computerize, if they haven´t done so already.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a couple of logistic notes

On the odd occasion that we take a cab, from the buquebus to our house is a five minute ride or about 10 blocks, we pay 50 - 60 pesos (US$2.50)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a couple of logistic notes

Thanks, I'm aware of that, after having lost the darn paper a couple of times for my children when they didn't yet have a Uruguayan passport.

It's a weird system as you say but not uncommon. At one time or another in the past I had to keep similar entry papers to use on exit in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. It's similar to the I-95 form used in the US for tourists which you need to return on your way out.

I find the post confusing because that's an entry form that you need to keep to exit but it is by no means a visa and it needs to be clarified for the benefit of other US citizens going to Uruguay.

Silvia

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a couple of logistic notes

My understanding is that it is an immigration document that records your entry date into the country

7. Re: a couple of logistic notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento