We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

I am going to be in Buenos Aires before and after my trip to Antarctica and I am hoping to squeeze in Colonia for half a day. I am down to either the morning of Wednesday, December 27th or the morning of Sunday, January 7th. Does any have any recommendations on which day might be better since it is around the holidays I wasn't sure if it was better or worse on a certain day or whether Wednesday or Sunday made a difference. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
8 replies to this topic
Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
519 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

Hi, it´ll be high season, so it´s going to be very crowded either day, sunday probably more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

Thanks for the info. Should I buy the ticket for the boat online or do you think if I buy it the day before I should be ok?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

There's conflicting info on whether it is better to buy in advance. Some people have reported getting good deals when buying at the offices in Buenos Aires, but I havent' read anything like that in quite a while.

What i've noticed is that when tickets roll out on the Buquebus and Seacat sites, the more expensive fares come out first and the cheaper ones are added later. If you go to check a date and cheaper fares aren't available, don't assume that they are sold out. Check earlier dates to see if cheaper fare have been released.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
SeaCat
SeaCat
86 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

BTW, going on Sunday, you could visit the Feria de Productores. If you're into markets, that could be interesting.

https:/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

Thanks Monsieur_Ghislain! What is considered to be a cheap fare? I'm assuming booking the ticket 3 months in advance might show a more expensive fare.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

It looks like both Buquebus and Seacat have discontinued Web fares. So the cheapest is "Ida y vuelta en el dia" which means return on the same day.

Seacat fares for both your dates are ARS$1210 and Buquebus fares are ARS$1400 and up.

I suggest you go check out the sites yourself. Be careful not to pick the slow boat on Buquebus. You don't want to end up spending six hours on the water.

Mentioned in this post
SeaCat
SeaCat
86 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

Thanks!

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?

Hi there, I am a solo female traveler planning to visit Antarctica in March and I am also in a side trip to Colonia. It would be nice to hear about your experience

Reply to: Which day for Colonia, Wednesday or Sunday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento