We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Hello! I know this question has been asked on the forum before, but it has been a few years. I will be arriving in Colonia by ferry from BA on August 29. I have already checked the trescruces.com.uy website for the schedule and know the 2 bus operators for this leg are COT and TURIL. I don't want to purchase the ferry + bus combo because it does not allow any time to stopover in Colonia. I plan to spend at least 2 to 3 hours in Colonia before hopping on the bus to Montevideo. What I would like to know from the experts or people who have traveled on this bus is:

1. Do you think it is necessary to purchase the tickets in advance? Or should I be ok getting tickets as soon as I step off the ferry 3 hours before I want to depart on the bus? (I can purchase tickets online from COT's and TURIL's website). Looking to take the bus at 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon.

2. However, in order to buy tickets on both of these websites, I must input my passport number and other identifying information. I don't expect anyone to know how a website handles our personal info, but would you advise that I go ahead and trust these sites with my personal info?

Thank you in advance.

17 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

No, you don't need that. I've done it twice and purchased the ticket once I disembark the ferry.

If there's any delay, you'll be loose the ticket, right?

There's also luggage storage in the bus terminal that you might want to use.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,892 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

No, I don't think you need to buy tickets in advance at this time of the year. If it were a long weekend, maybe, but not on a weekday in the middle of the winter.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

I´d suggest you buy the ticket that same day, because you might spend more or less time in Colonia, depending on how much you like it. The trip is 2 hours 15 min. so if you want to arrive with daylight, 4 PM would be good too.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Thank you to all 3 of you for the quick response and advice. I will buy the bus ticket the day I arrive in Colonia then. The schedule shows numerous buses making that trip from Colonia that day. And thank you mamaluc for mentioning the luggage storage. I will definitely be needing that. I can't wait to visit these two countries for the first time!

J-Mac

Canggu, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Hey guys, Iˇll take advantage of this feed to ask: the prices listed on trescruces.com.uy are in Uruguayan peso right? Thanks.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

yes, Michaela, the price is in local money. 350 $ is about 12.50 USD.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
29 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

I found this thread informative. I am working on travel plans. We will spend about 10 days in BA (including a jaunt to Iguazu Falls - booked flight and hotel). We might opt for the BA-Colonia ferry - spend a night or two there (in Colonia) before taking the bus to Montevideo (for 4 or 5 nights) Then instead of returning to BA for a flight to Santiago, Chile, I will see if flying to Santiago from Montevideo is reasonable. The last time I checked it was expensive. Does anyone have experience with any of this? I am also just beginning on plans for the Santiago part and am reserching the homes of Pablo Neruda. I appreciate any input on your experiences. We are using ff miles on Delta. I found a hotel in BA - so we are set there, Other travelers are the best sources for good information. Muchissimas Gracias .... Buen Viaje!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Paola921

Two nights is a long time to spend in Colonia if you don't have a car to get out into the countryside. Colonia is a half-day for the old city and the beach area and that's it.

I can't really help you with Chile. You should really ask on the Chile and/or Santiago forums. It's also a better idea to start your own topic instead of bumping old ones. It tends to confuse people and you run the risk of them not seeing your questions and answering the original poster instead.

Mamaroneck, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

My question is the reverse order. We are flying to Montevideo and we want to spend one night there, then go to Colonia for one night, and then take ferry to Buenos Aires. What is the best and fastest way to go from Montevideo to Colonia? Can you take a taxi? We don't really want to rent a car and drive ourselves. We also don't want to take a local bus.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,892 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Yes, you can take a taxi but that would be totally unaffordable ! It's about a 2.5-hour drive and the driver will have to charge you for the empty return trip.

Take the bus at the Tres Cruces bus station (great buses, comfortable, bathroom, free wi fi). No, these are not 'local' buses in the sense that they are for "inter-state" transportation. This type of buses: http://www.cot.com.uy/site/

Reply to: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted