We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

London
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

We are planning a day trip from BA to Sacramneto and would like to visit the swiss colony. Is this advisable and how long will we need ( round trip). We would prefer a private driver/ taxi we could hire for the day- Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

It's Colonia del Sacramento or Colonia for short. And where you want to go is called Nueva Helvecia or Colonia Suiza. I don't know about hiring a driver, but there are buses or you could rent a car. The drive between the two cities is pretty easy.

Personally, I didn't really find Nueva Helvecia that interesting. Perhaps I missed something when I visited. If you only have one day in Uruguay, I would suggest staying in Colonia. Or going to Carmelo, but that's​ a bit of a schlep.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
520 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

from Colonia it´s a 40 minutes ride. You can schedule your lunch there! See the landscapes and swiss influence, museum, cemetery, central square with immigrants monument. It is a cheeseproducers area, with lots of family-run farms. Any cab driver could take you there, you can also ask at information center for a driver/guide. Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

Thanks- will the cheese farms allow me to have a look around ? Do they service food ? Must I book ?

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
135 reviews
4. Re: How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

There are a few "touristic farms" that sells cheese. I'm not sure if any of them have actually cows, milking structures and cheese plant. I've visited a real diary farm and cheese plant when researching about that industry for the ministry of agriculture but obviously the places were not for tourists.

Look for " estancia" on any website about Colonia. I'm afraid those hosting tourists and serving food are just an ancient farm with no actual production recycled to tourism. A lunch could be at "Granja hotel Suiza".

5. Re: How to get to the swiss colony from Sacramento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2018, 14:17