We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
106 reviews
A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

I know that prices will vary from company to company but can anyone give me an idea of what kind of prices alcoholic drinks will be on a one week gulet cruise which starts and returns to Gocek. The food and non alcoholic drinks are included - this request for info is simply so I can budget.

I am particularly interested in the kind of price for a) a beer (either 330ml or 500ml), a bottle of white wine, a bottle of red wine, Turkish vodka and coke, Turkish Gin and Tonic (I've had Turkish Vodka and Gin before so I know what I am in for flavour-wise!). I would really appreciate any help with this - a friend returned from Turkey recently and said the prices had really gone up so any guidance would be gratefully received.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

Why not ask the boat company you are going with what their prices are? I have always found the prices on a gulet to be comparable to cheaper ends drinking out ashore - ie a mark-up on supermarket prices but not top whack restaurant / bar prices!

sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

I know it may seem strange for not asking the boat company, but as is always the case with me, there is a good reason for this.

However the "bit more than supermarket" info is useful so thanks for this info. It's pretty much what I thought.

Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

Hi, did you do your week trip on the gullet? Any advise? I have booked a trip for next June but there is very little information on it. Did you stay for a second week and if yes doe you have any recommendations? Thanks Sue

sheffield
Level Contributor
448 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

Hi Sue, It was actually my daughter and her fiance that went The prices on board (I thought) were ridiculous. Let me begin my saying I have a lot of experience of travelling to Turkey and just cannot believe how prices have risen since 1993. And it's not just the cost of living - I am afraid there is a large element of "cok acgozlu" (turkish for very greedy) My daughter reports that prices on board were as follows: beers £3.50, gin and tonic £5 for Gordons or £3.50 for local gin and tonic and a bottle of red wine £14. As part of their gulet trip they went to Rhodes town for the day where beer was 2 euros. And of course there was the usual statement of "you cannot bring your own alcohol on board". Gulet cruises are wonderful however and they did have a very good time. Would they go again ? Yes, but not with the same company because there appeared to be some dissatisfaction within the crew who were very moody and not very helpful. My daughter is going to do her own tripadvisor postings on this.

I would not recommend the hotel (they stayed in Gocek) because all the manager was interested in was having good postings on tripadvisor whilst at the same time trying to charge my daughter & fiance twice for the room, however, again, this was her experience and not mine so she will be posting on this very soon.

Turkey is a wonderful country - very beautiful and amazing culture but it has a lot to learn about not taking the mickey regarding tourism - avarice has really got out of hand. I visited Kas about 3 years ago and whilst it was a beautiful place there was one restaurant where we chose a bottle of wine which cost about £8 and the waiter was incredibly rude - he said "this wine is rubbish - you want to have this one (another which was £14) I said, that's too expensive we want this £8 one and the cheeky monkey said "What, you come on holiday with no money to spend?" - I could have throttled him. We walked out. This is just the sort of attitude they need to get rid of and be back to offering wonderful hospitality with a sensible profit mark up not a ludicrous one. For heaven's sake, despite being a Muslim country it produces it's own wine and local gin and vodka (and beer etc) and the prices in the supermarkets and the official government off licenses are reasonable. I am really glad I spent 3 years learning Turkish because when we were in Kas it enabled us to go and eat in local places where no-one spoke English and where a meal for 2 cost less than 8 pounds with alcohol, where as the ones near the harbour were about £35 for two. Recommendations - if you are sailing from Marmaris or Gocek I would stay in either Fethiye or Turunc. I am sure you will have a lovely time.

Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

Did Jenny thank you for the update. Very informative. Would love to read the reviews when posted please if you can let me know. The company I have booked the trip with is Bluecruise.uk so hopefully the boat prices will not be crazy. I have been to Turkey many times but on packages and not in this area. I will look at Turunc and see if I can get accomidation as it sounds like Gocek may be expensive unless you go off the beaten path. It is a pity when a country goes from enjoying welcoming visitors to just trying to get as much as they can out of them, as a visitor you really feel it. Thanks again, Sue

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

A reply for SSL Ireland. Where does your trip start? Gocek and Turunc are several hours and two buses apart. If starting in Marmaris use Turunc, but not if you need to be in Gocek. The character of the two small towns is very different. Gocek tends to have small hotels (no high rise buidings are permitted) whereas Turunc caters more for package holidaymakers. Both have good places to stay - look at reviews and prices.

Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

HiCJD12, the trip starts in Marmaris and actually ends in Gocek. I am looking at the Grand Gocek hotel but also thinking about Dalyan as I read a little more. though the transfer from Gocek to Dalyan is about €70 for the three of us. Hard to know as I don't know the area very well. Looking for a good hotel, with big pool for my daughter who will want to live in the pool that has some other young teens around and then a village close by for evenings to good out and eat..... Reasonable food. I heard the sea is not very clean in Gocek due to the boats.

All advise very welcome :) thanks Sue

8. Re: A Rough idea of drink prices on gulet trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Gocek
Recent Conversations