We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget sailing turkey

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Budget sailing turkey

Hi

Thinking about a flotilla holiday with the above company, they look good, can't find anyone that's used them, if anyone has can they recommend them or another?

Many thanks

Vevey, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Budget sailing turkey

Had 2 days with Hasan to introduce my family to sailing and refresh my sailing skills. Hasan was simply perfect. The kids (age 11 and 6) loved him and he was very entertaining and knowledgable. He kept the kids fully engaged in the sailing, safety, knots and everything about the boat. at the same time he allowed me as much freedon as I needed and was entirely unflappable. We hired Hasan as a skipper and guide however, his impact was so postitive, I would not hesitate in recommending him and Budget Sailing for any sailing trip. As an aside, the area is just great to sail in!

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Budget sailing turkey

We had a very poor experience of Budget Sailing Turkey. My wife and I rented an Oceanis 331 and some friends a Gib Sea 33 for a week. The two boats were old, tatty and poorly maintained. There were numerous problems, to list just a few: in our boat the chart plotter had no software and we lacked charts for quite a bit of the nearby coast, lots of little easily fixable items such as numerous lights did not work, the fridge was broken and smelt strongly of rotten eggs, the WC stank, the rigging was badly frayed in places, the outboard engine (an extra) broke after one use, etc. The other boat had a similar long list of faults. The boats were so knackered and damaged that when our friends reversed their boat into a pontoon and took a two inch chunk out of its transom Budget Sailing didn’t even notice when they inspected it as it already had large chunks missing and gashes in its side.

It is also worth noting that if you want to actually sail then forget trimming the main sail on Budget’s boats as due to the permanently raised bimini the ability to manipulate the main sheet is very limited (the same on both boats).

Wilma was friendly and helpful on email but when we got there and politely pointed out some of the issues on the boat was aggressive and unhelpful telling us "it’s your holiday, I don't care, if you don't want it leave it" - we had already paid or we might have done. They also told us to turn up for 9am at the marina to pick up the boat as it was already there (although to be fair the charter was not due to start until much later), but at 3pm we were still there waiting whilst Hasan and Wilma went for a long lunch. We found Wilma thoroughly unpleasant to deal with once we arrived. Hasan was better but still tried to charge us the extra fee for the outboard engine at the end when it was clearly faulty and tried to blame us for breaking it when it was clear that it was just old, exhausted and faulty.

There were some positives. The Gulf of Fetiye is lovely place to sail and ideal for beginners, navigation is easy, the winds fairly predictable and the scenery stunning. Budget Sailing Turkey is cheap (£1,000 pw) but for a reason as we found out to our cost, if you just want to get out on the water in a lovely place at the lowest cost possible then these guys will do, but if you mind about having a pleasant, reliable boat for your holiday then pay the extra and go with a better operator.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Budget sailing turkey

Hello

Just returned from a holiday with Budget Sailing. We had two weeks bareboat on one of their Aloa 27SC's.

Depends really on what your expectations are. We felt that we received value for money. The boats are old and well worn but so are we, so what the heck.

A) 1.Go for the SC model It has a much bigger Bimini and you will be needing it, we even asked for some extra sheeting so that we could make adjustments when we were moored. 2. It has a "sugar scoop" stern, great for swimming. 3.It also has an electric shower on the stern while the standard Aloa only has a solar shower bag. 4. There is also an electric fridge element in the coolbox, to be used when in the marina.

B) Check all the instruments before departure, ours didn't have working nav lights or speed log. They don't go through a check list like a car hire company, it's all a little "manana" which is fine, it's all about expectations.

C) Ours had a bad toilet smell when we arrived which we put down to the previous hirers use of the system, if it's not used correctly there's nothing that the company can do once the boat is in harbour. We simply flushed as directed and within a couple of days it was fine. Note:- After every discharge I pumped another 100 flushes into the holding tank and again discharged.

D) Bottled water. We bought the largest bottle we could, I think it was 19L, and a small hand pump that just clipped onto the top. This we placed into the cockpit locker and virtually had fresh water on tap. We bought slightly smaller bottles during our stay and topped up as required. We used about another 20l during our stay. Typically we kept three 1l bottles in the coolbox at all times.

E) Ice. This is available from all the little food stores in Gocek and we bought the large blocks to go into the coolbox. You can also buy ice from the little "Market" boat that comes around the Islands every day. They have bags, which don't last very long, and 5l frozen bottles which when melted can be used for drinking if the seals are intact!

F) Boat equipment:- Although the company provide the basics I would take a small pair of binoculars and, if you have one, your own nautical hand bearing compass. The one provided was the military style land type. Our boat only had an aging "Sailor" radio telephone ( due to the vagaries of the Turkish coastguard system you are loaned a cell phone with which to call Hasan if you require assistance.) and I may take my own handheld for ship to ship comms. I did take a little Garmin with a chart chip installed, which was brilliant. The smaller hire craft only have basic gps as the majority of the nav. will be be line of sight.

G) Mooring / Anchoring. The waters around the bay are very very very deep. Just seven meters from shore we were in seven meters depth. The point is, you will not be anchored on the bottom but on the side of an abyss. As you cannot possibly hold in this way on a swinging mooring what they use is a system of shore based mooring posts for a stern line to be attached. So the idea is that you drop your full scope over the bow and then reverse towards the shore. Once the anchor sets, quickly take the line ashore and pull it tight so that you bed the anchor in, a tight stern line means all is OK. You will need a tender! There are also a line of mooring buoys up the inner side of the bay island chain. Big boats, and there are lots of them, pick one up and then pull it into shore before attaching the shore line. In a small craft you will not be able to pull the large can so you will just swing, be aware of your radius!

H) Insects. You will be bitten so take precautions. Hasan will tell you that around dawn and dusk there can be bee's. Well they're not bee's but wasps which for some reason are passive. After a while we just used to shoo them away and never once got stung.

We would recommend the taxi company that Hasan uses. Let them book it for you, it takes all the hassle out of it. Both ways we had a lovely A/C Mercedes minibus and as we arrived quite late, and there was no one around to meet us, the driver was instructed to take us straight to the boat.

As I say, we had no real complaints and think that it was definitely value for money. Hasan is a lovely, witty, knowledgeable person ready to help and assist and speaks very good English. We could not afford any of the more well known company's in the Med. and Budget Sailing gave us the opportunity to fulfill a dream.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Budget sailing turkey

We have just come back from a week with budget sailing, our second time with them. Apart from their lower prices I would choose them anyway for many reasons. Hassan was brilliant with the kids, including taking them all out on his pride of joy 65 foot yacht. Wilma and hassan both led morning hikes for anyone interested (no pressure!) which was an unexpected bonus . We went for a smaller Aloa 27 which was fine for 3 of us. The boats are older but perfectly sound and well maintained. I like the international mix in the flotilla, we had English, Dutch, French, with English being the common language during the week and the kids quickly getting together and doing their own thing . I think having real local knowledge and genuine love of the area, as well as a personal interest as owners of the company in everything being right, makes the difference (no 20 year old sunsail reps winging it or enforcing 'fun'). There were some budget sailing regulars on our flotilla who saw themselves as part of the budget sailing 'family' and I can see why. I would recommend them, the word 'budget' might put some people off but it shouldn't.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Budget sailing turkey

Brilliant!

Helpful, knowledgeable and fun

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Budget sailing turkey

Brilliant!

Helpful, knowledgeable and fun

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Budget sailing turkey

Good Evening

My husband and I have just booked 2 weeks Bareboat sailing with Budget,my husband is a sailor by profession and pleasure,I on the other hand am a keen novice,any hints or tips from anyone who has already been here please?

Thanks Marie.

18. Re: Budget sailing turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2016, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Gocek
Recent Conversations