We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cesme v. Bodrum?

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Cesme v. Bodrum?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Turkey in September and would like to spend a few days on the coast. We are considering visiting either Bodrum or Cesme and are trying to decide which we would prefer. Any advice? Either way we'll make a day trip to Ephesus.

We are young (30), but prefer something low key and picturesque. By way of example, the best trip we ever took was to Oia on Santorini, Greece. We would love to find something with a similar speed/atmosphere.

If we were to go to Bodrum, do you think we would prefer a nearby village rather than Bodrum itself? And if so, which one?

Cesme Castle
Ancient Ruins, Architectural Buildings
Delikli Koyu
Beaches, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Arnhem, The...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cesme v. Bodrum?

Bodrum is more of party, bars, tourists as Cesme is.

Cesme is more for Turkish holiday makers, Bodrum more international.

My judgement is a bit influenced, as we live part-time in Cesme/Dalyan.

The feeling to compare Cesme/Alacati to is the Cote d'Azur in the 70-ties.

Look here here for some pictures and links www.bougainvillacesme.nl

Good luck

Ben

Edited: 20 January 2013, 19:23
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cesme v. Bodrum?

Based upon your wish list I would recommend the Çeşme peninsula.I know both and indeed lived on the Bodrum peninsula for a long time.

Other than the main towns of Bodrum and Çeşme there are several small villages on each but in Bodrum even these are very ...English :) Nice enough but they do cater mainly to the Brits whatever people may tell you.

If you have a generous budget then Alaçatı is lovely(and a famous windsurfing centre!),at least try to make a visit there even if you don't stay there.Ilıca too is very nice but again accomodation can be a bit pricey.If you would like somewhere very peaceful then Dalyanköyü(no,not the one near Marmaris)or Karaburnu are worth a look at.

If you have the time then you could also take the ferry over to Chios for a day trip,very sweet and unspoilt.

There are also several thermal spa's located around the Çeşme area too if you'd like to pamper yourselves.

If you take a look through the Çeşme forum page you will find many very informative posts by local resident and DE,Dande which will help you to get a 'feel'for the area.

If it is very important to you,the only thing I would caution is that it is a longer transfer to Çeşme than to Bodrum,c.80 minutes as opposed to c.40 minutes for the latter.But as with anywhere,the further away from an airport the more relaxed and unspoilt a place tends to be!

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cesme v. Bodrum?

I have to agree with the above two replies - but I admit to being somewhat biased having lived in the Çeşme area for almost 16 years!

The town is still rather laid back but offers a huge choice of hotels, restaurants and bars to suit all tastes and pockets. The night clubs are a few kilometres away, mainly at Ayayorgi Bay. Çeşme still retains very much of a Turkish atmosphere with the Genoese Castle and the maze of streets behind.

sarikanarya mentioned Alaçatı which has been transformed over the past 10 years or so from a village of crumbling former-Greek houses to a ‘Boutique' Town with an international wind-surfing centre. It’s an attractive place with pavement cafes, etc. but it is no longer the place for those on a limited budget. There is a new marina and a couple of night clubs close to the beach, just 4 kilometres from the town

There’s Ilıca, too, just a few kilometres from Çeşme which has a long, pale sand beach with warmer-than-usual sea as a result of underwater thermal activity and a good choice of beach bars/restaurants. There is an excellent choice of restaurants in the town and hotels ranging from five-star to pansiyons. But it’s really a one-street town and, in my view lacks character or atmosphere of both Çeşme or Alaçatı.

Car hire is not essential as the three towns, and beaches, are easily accessible and linked by Dolmuş, the inexpensive shared mini bus service. Also a 15 minute journey from Çeşme would take you through the village of Çiftlikköy (where we live) to probably one of the best stretches of sand on the Aegean coast (Altınkum Beach) - our favourite! -and Pırlantı (Kitesurf) Beach.

I am sure you would have a most enjoyable stay in this lovely part of the Cesme Peninsula. Your final choice will depend on your preferences – and your budget!

Do let me know if I can help further.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 21:27
New York City
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cesme v. Bodrum?

I came across this post as my fiance and i are in a similar position thinking of where we'll go for our honeymoon in July. So far I've been comparing Bodrum w/ Kas near Antalya. Out of the three, Cesme, Bodrum, or Kas which would you choose to visit at the end of the trip? We'e been to beautiful beaches in the Caribbean, Sicily, Greece...and dont expect it to be a perfect white sandy beach, but whatever town would be most enjoyable and beautiful for our honeymoon. On this trip, We're going to Istanbul, Cappadocia, and then the beach at the end.. could possibly visit two different areas if it's not too hectic to travel to both). Thanks!

5. Re: Cesme v. Bodrum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Cesme