We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling between towns in Turkey

Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling between towns in Turkey

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Turkey in mid-September for about 2 weeks. I'm planning to arrive in Istanbul and then book a cheap last minute flight to Keysari so I can go to Cappadocia. From Cappadocia I plan to go to Patera Beach along the med coast and to Selcurk.I will then finish off in Istanbul and will head into eastern europe.

I'm wondering if flying between these places in Turkey makes much sense? I don't want to spend 13 hours on buses etc.

Thoughts?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,247 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

Hi,

so best would be to fly from Cappedocia to Antalya and continue from there by bus to Patara, Be sure to have the coastal road bus Batı Antalya, the time table is here:

http://www.batiantalyatur.net/?&Bid=197681

From Patara you have to go to Fethiye to catch the bus to Selcuk. There is only one direct bus in a day (about 16:00), or you have to change bus in Aydın. From Selcuk you could go to İzmir and fly back to İstanbul.

Another idea could be to rent a car from Antalya airport and drive yourself.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

Hi

We took Pegasus flight from Istanbul to Keysari and it costed us about 80 Euros per person one way. There is an airport in Nevsehir as well, but only Turkish airlines flies into this airport and the airlines is pretty expensive, I think about thrice the cost of Pegasus.

You can check out my articles on this trip here:

1. For Travel info and a few places to see: …stills360.com/2011/…

2. For info on underground cities and valleys:

…stills360.com/2011/…

For travelling in the Cappadocia region itself, if you are interested in public transport there are buses. We hired a bike and it was very convenient and an exciting way of travelling around!

Hope that helps!

Edited: 02 August 2011, 17:19
Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

Thank you very much! A bike, eh? Do you need a special license? Or, is it more like a moped? Or a biciycle? :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

haha yeah it is moped, 125cc you will need a licence for more powerful "bikes" :D

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

You need a motorcycle licence to ride anything over 50cc - turkishliving.com/forums/cars-motoring-turke…

Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

I think I would be good with just a moped!! lol Thanks, great tip!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

I would actually fly to Izmir and bus to Selcuk for Ephesus. Then I would fly to Antalya or Fethiye for some time on the Med (there are cheap flight from Izmir.)

Then I would take a bus up from Antalya to Cappadocia. I would still get a private tour in Cappadocia to fit the highlights into a reasonable amount of time.

Fly back to Istanbul from Cappadocia (Kayseri or Nevsehir, but transfers to Kayseri will cost quite a bit more than Nevsehir, so take that into account when comparing ticket prices.)

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

we were booked on Pegasus to fly to kayseri but they cancelled our flight so we rebooked on Turkish airways to and from Nevsehir. both were great fares, even TA. it all depends on when you book them - the earlier you book them the better chance you have at getting one of the cheaper fares. our Turkish airways flight to nevsehir was about 40 TL and the pegasus about 23 but again it depends on when you book. definitely the quickest way in. nice short flights, on time.

9. Re: Travelling between towns in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:16