We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

blackburn
Level Contributor
21 posts
Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

Hi,

I am looking at travelling to kaş for two weeks next June but I am not sure the the resort is big enough for a two week stay so I have a couple of questions...

1. Does kaş have a centre? We usually stay in Olu Deniz - what is kaş like size wise in comparison to Olu?

2. We eat out every night - are there enough bars/restaurants to choose from? We just like to go for a meal at night then a few drinks after - is there a good atmosphere in bars?

3. I have noticed a lot of hotels seem to be a little far out from the centre - are there frequent dolmuses to the centre? We are looking at Amphora hotel.

4. Beaches in the area? Are some an easy dolmus away? Are there some of the platform beaches open to the public in Kaş where you go down steps to the beach?

5. What trips are there to do around Kaş?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA! Xx

4 replies to this topic
Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
871 posts
277 reviews
1. Re: Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

Kaş is hard to compare to Ölüdeniz. The former is a fishing village that retains some authentic character while the latter is a resort town purposely built to attract the British. Kaş has restrictions limiting the size and number of hotels which helps explain why many of the hotels are away from the town proper.

Yes, there is a city center and there are definitely minibuses but I do not know their routes. There are a good number of restaurants but since Kaş attracts a diverse group of visitors (including Turkish) they won't cater themselves so highly to the British. The same can be said for bars.

I don't know if any of the "rock shelves" that serve as sunning areas are open to the public. Kaputaş and Patara beaches are both to the west and reasonable as day trips via public transport. The former is closer but tiny and with extremely limited services; the latter is farther but huge with a very good service area.

A day boat trip to the sunken city of Kekova is one of the best such trips in Turkey and private boats are not particularly expensive. Demre (Myra) is also nearby. It has a good ancient theater. It was the home of St. Nicholas (yes, that St. Nicholas) and he is interred in a cathedral there. You'll definitely be able to find public transport to Demre. There are other ancient sites reasonably close but they're off the main roads and away from modern towns so you can only get somewhat near to them using public transport.

If you're one of the British travelers who wants feel like they never really left the UK except for warm sunny weather and crystal blue seas you might look at Kalkan. Accommodation there is probably more expensive there than in Kaş but you'll find it greatly caters to the British--typically those who will call their status as "comfortable".

The permanent population of Kaş is about 7,000. Ölüdeniz has about 5,000.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
304 reviews
2. Re: Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

It depends what you want to do in your 2 weeks, if you spend some time sunbathing and relaxing it will be fine. Although it's my favourite town I would be hard pushed to spend the whole time there, we like to walk and explore. Kas is bigger than Oludeniz and has more shops, restaurants and cafes, tea garden, a Friday market and an assortment of bars. You can get a dolmus to Kalkan (passes Kaputas beach) Patara (vast beach and ruins) and Kinik (ruins of Xanthos ancient city) in the other direction Demre as above or up into the mountains to Gombe and Elmali. You can also get a dolmus to Saklikent though I assume you have been there before. The Kekova boat trip is my favourite boat trip, you can either go from Kas harbour or book a trip where the minibus takes you to Ucagiz and you board from there.

There are platforms for public use but you need to buy a drink/snack, you can get a water taxi to Limanagzi, a very small beach Kucuk Cakil is 5 minutes walk out of town, Buyuk Cakil Beach (big pebble beach) is nice enough to spend time https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev… but be warned the water has cold springs so not like Oludeniz!

The Amphora is way out on the peninsula, three miles from Kas, it's a long hot walk although there is a half hourly dolmus service. The dolmus leave on the hour from the harbour and the last one is after midnight. Kas is more cosmopolitan than Oludeniz and you have to experience it to understand why we like it so much. By the way Bayram starts 5th June next year and the town was absolutely rammed last year but it was a lot of fun.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

The Amphora Hotel that you are looking at is on the peninsula so to get into town each evening you would have to catch the dolmuş which runs every half hour and drops you off in the centre of town.

There are plenty of hotels within easy walking distance of town along Hükümet Cad. out towards big pebble beach and many more to the other side of the town.

Kaş has plenty of restaurants and bars around the central square and more fan out in all directions from there, all within easy walking distance giving you a wide variety of menus.

All the platform beaches are open to the public, then there is Big pebble beach, small pebble beach (platforms), Akçergermi beach & Olympos beach (are both a short bus trip away). A few new beaches have been opened up near the town end of the peninsula and of course there are the Limanazi beach clubs that are reached by the water taxi's from the old harbour. The famous Kaputaş beach is reached by dolmuş (about 30 mins,) and very popular in season.

There are many day trips that can be taken from Kaş to places like Demre & Myra (church & rock tombs), Saklikent Gorge, Kekova (sunken city) to name but a few all of wich can be booked through one of the many tour operators in town.

Kaş is a working town which means that many places are open all year round to cater for the residents and those tourists that like to come here out of season.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?

Ramadam starts on the 6th May to 3rd June next year with the 3 day holiday being 4th, 5th & 6th June and yes the place will be busy.

Reply to: Kaş SIze - big enough for two weeks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations