We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish lira rate

Coatbridge, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Turkish lira rate

Hi

Can someone tell me what the turkish lira rate is at the moment for 1 pound

9 replies to this topic
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish lira rate

just touched 6.0, back down to 5.9855

https://www.doviz.com/

crateegg

g r
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish lira rate

blimey might be time to get some

Derbshire
Level Contributor
253 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish lira rate

Yes fantastic rate in our favour at the moment - When we first started going to Turkey around 4 years ago it was less than 4, and its slowly gone up ever since. Last October it was hovering around or just under 5..

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
848 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish lira rate

There is a downside! When I lived in Turkey 2004-2008, the Lira varied between 2 and 3 to the Pound. Turkish Lira savings accounts were paying 14-18% p.a. and I saw many ex-pats convert their UK savings into Lira for the income. Those life savings are now worth less than half of what they were and people getting older and needing to repatriate to the UK for the NHS are no longer able to afford to.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul
Level Contributor
748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish lira rate

14% compounded for 14 years would turn 2,000 liras into 12,500; £1K in 2004 into £2K in 2018. Not a bad deal, unless they spent all the interest income.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 00:18
Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish lira rate

I just bought some lira on my revolut app at today's rate. (You get the perfect rate with no commission) 6Lira/Pound.

So no matter if the rate goes down when I go in 3 weeks i still get 6 lira. Just use the card in any machine out there. Or i Just use Halifax clarity and get whatever the current rate is at the time. Never take cash anywhere.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish lira rate

My main issue with the Revolut card ( I have one) is the paltry cash withdrawal limit of £200 per month. Cash withdrawals above this limit attract a charge of 2%.

https://www.revolut.com/fairusage

Take a look at Starling Bank, a much better choice: https://www.starlingbank.com/

Edited: 16 May 2018, 15:36
g r
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish lira rate

I normally change mine over here looks like I need to rethink what I do regarding money, I've not even got any of the cards mentioned

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
848 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish lira rate

"My main issue with the Revolut card ( I have one) is the paltry cash withdrawal limit of £200 per month." [LuddendenTurk].

Being a typical Yorkshireman, I have no issue with that limit :-)

Reply to: Turkish lira rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted