We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Hi everyone, hoping someone can advise me as I’ve never been to Turkey and spent many hours researching this on line, and also tried to contact Turkish embassy (as advised on nhs, but nobody answers the phone or email!)

I need to take my prescription antihistamine Fexofenadine as I have really bad reactions to mosquito bites. I know it’s only an antihistamine but with it being a prescription one, I’m worried about if there’s anything I need to do to be able to take it. My husband is a nervous flyer and takes Diazepam with him for the return flight.

Will it be ok to take both these with us? Do we need a copy of the prescription or anything else? If anyone has any experience I would be most grateful as I just can’t find a definitive answer anywhere. Many thanks in advance everyone :)

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
8 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Level Contributor
699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Yes, just bring your prescription with you, both for legal purposes and if you need to buy more while in Turkey. Your husband too needs to bring both a letter from yr doctor and a prescription. The medicines you mention are sold in Turkey as Allegra and Diazem or Diazepam.

The definitive answer is available if you search the Turkey forum. :) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

GrandGourmand - thank you so so much for your quick and comprehensive reply, it’s helped clear things up :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Hello,

Take your meds in the proper boxes with your name and details. I use the same for allergies as well as other meds. 👍

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Also make sure you carry it in your hand baggage just in case a suitcase goes astray. Maybe put some in there as well just to be on the safe side.

As long as you aren't carrying bucket loads of it you'll be fine. Medicines for personal use for the duration of your stay are fine.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Dear Emma, last year we went to Istanbul from london and I took fexofenadine, naproxen and nytol and no body ask me any question but if you are worried you can ask your GP so they can issue you a letter, but I don’t think so you need any thing you’ll be fine hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Istanbul
Level Contributor
699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

@Iram, on the practical side I agree. Turkish customs aren't rubbing their hands together in glee, waiting to pounce on people entering the country with own-use medications.

Legally, however, you do need the letter and prescription, at least for the more serious prescription drugs like Diazepam which is classed differently to fexofenadine, and certianly quite different to naproxen and nytol which are anyway OTC.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

I’m here now and my husband has brought his fexofenadine with him. I also had diazepam from my doctor for flying and he wrote me a letter to bring with me with the quantity stated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking prescription medications to Turkey

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to advise me, I wish I had poster here earlier! I certainly feel I know what to do now :)

Reply to: Taking prescription medications to Turkey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted