We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

Hi All,

We are planning to go to Antalya this July as a group of 7 adults + 1 two year child for a week.

Our hotel is in Side and quite far from everything. I have some questions:

1- is it easy to hire a car locally, or its better to do it in advanced on the websites.

2 -How safe is to drive ( We've been driving in Iran so kind of familiar with the driving culture) but not sure about the country roads.

3- Are sat-navs reliable to use in that area?

4- If all above is fine, can you suggest any rental company with reasonable price?

5- If not, what are the alternatives?

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

Dear Roxana;

You will need a minibus for your family not a car to fit. Rental companies has got minibuses for 8 people. Other type of vans can not accomodate 8 people. I do not think you can drive a minibus in Antalya. Rental companies would not want to rent you a minibus. This is very unusual.

It is easy to hire locally. Try good, reputable companies such as Avis or Hertz. Driving in easy on the main roads but not in Antalya. Even you use a GPS, the roads and traffic in Antalya can be difficult for the first time visitors especially in busy hours. Parking is another problem in the city center. There is no sign to show you where you can park. If you plan to visit Antalya and drive into the city, you should work on the roads, location of parking spaces etc. I do not reccommend driving into the Old Town area. Side is located east of Antalya. Driving from Side to the west cost to see the Phaselis, Olimpos and other sights, you should be driving thorough the main road not through the city center. If you take a wrong way once, you will be having some problem to find the right road. You should work the roads on google maps before you drive. Other alterneatives are of course take a tour from local travel agencies. There are many travel agencies in Antalya. area. As a local person living in Antalya, I have never heard a family of 8 rented a minibus and drive it.

Edited: 20 February 2018, 01:44
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

Thanks so much for your helpful information. now we decided to stay in a hotel in Kemer. possibly "Simena Sun Club" . I wonder how we can transfer to/from the hotel to main Antalya city and the airport. Google maps says it's 1h:30 min from the airport to the hotel. Is that true? Is it better to book a transfere in advanced or just wait for the day and get something from the airport?

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

You are better to pre book your transfer for that distance. Regular forumites seem to recommend Sun Transfers. You can get a price on their website. It also gives you a good baseline to compare other companies' prices.

If you decide to rent a car I think you will find the roads fairly straight forward - especially the coastal road that goes from Kemer in either direction. Pretty hard to get lost on it really. Now the new road system is in place from the airport that is also a lot less stressful than it used to be. Sign posts are good and there really isn't a need for sat nav.

Exploring under your own steam means you can stop when you want/need and don't feel you have to keep to a timetable as such.

Well worth considering renting for at least a couple of days once you are there.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days

We often hire a car when based in Side. The roads are pretty good, as VIP says but be aware that the traffic lights show a countdown system. You can see how many econds are left, before it will change to red. That's fine....you slow & stop...but not all Turks obey them. That is the feature of which my husband finds himself most wary.

We enjoy going out & about, by ourselves. We often get lost, but it's all part of the fun. We do carry maps & have phone apps but still have to ask bemused locals at times.

We have used our hotel rep & Europcar. There are cheapeer alternatives but my husband likes to pay for the xs waiver & prefers to be with the safety of the rep or a well-known firm.

Reply to: Family Car Hire in Antalya for 7 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted