We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Hotels in Tunisia

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Hotels in Tunisia

I have read on one of the threads from RIU Club Marco Polo that this hotel will no longer be operating as a RIU hotel from the end of this year.

Does anybody know if any other RIU hotels are finishing at the end of this year.

I know that RIU own no hotels in Tunisia they just rent them that's why being a RIU card holder you cannot use any points in Tunisia for that reason.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

I'm afraid that RIU have pulled out of Tunisia now and believe the Marco Polo is the only one still affiliated to RIU but believe that's only till the end of the year. I don't think they have any plans to return. You are right in saying that the Riu was just a brand as the hotels are privately owned.

Level Contributor
233 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

That is sad and doesnt look good for further tourism in Tunisia.

Having been to the Marco Polo,it is a lovely hotel and well positioned away from the madness of Hammamet ( wasnt my favourite part of Tunisia)

Pat

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

Thank you for replying,it is sad that RIU have pulled out of Tunisia but you cannot blame them.

Angus 52.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

No Angus, that is very true.. Profits come first ;-(

I hope that the company was faithful and loyal to Tunisian staff at the hotels in terms of redundancy, severance payments, before they bailed out.

They were a large employer in the resorts.

They are not the only "foreign" hotel company to jump ship from the Tunisian holiday resorts either.

Some other hotel companies have for the time being "mothballed" hotels and kept Others have transferred workers to other hotels

But overall employment in the hotel/catering/supply and related businesses has truly been devastated.

Tens of thousands affected now.Plus their families of course.

Slainte

Mick

Edited: 23 November 2015, 02:18
London, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

I wonder if Thomas Cook will do the same with the Sentido Hotels, with the hotels having only about 20-30% occupancy.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

Thats a good point about Sentido but them again Thomas Cook sometimes are as messed up as Thomson. Personally always found it bizarre how they are both run.

Lets go back to when what happened tragically in June.

Cancelled flights and holidays that i can understand no problem at all.

Thomson and First Choice owned by TUI and TUI is a German company. So all flights banned but TUI Germany still fly there.

Should point out all 3 companies are run as seperate entities although owned by the same Brand.

Sentitdo yes come under the Thomas Cook Group but registered German company. Saying that you can book the phenicia no problem as a package through Thomas Cook Germany.

Obvuously the FCO make that choice for us.

As mick says RIU thinking of their own pockets.

Regarding the Sentido it maybe that Thomas Cook have big pockets and that the hotels may have good bookings from German visitors.

Maybe time will tell.

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

I know maybe slightly irrelevant but there's a LOT of hooharr going on on the FB page of Thomson at the mo with regards to Tui Germany, relating to why they have cancelled Sharm up until March next year yet Thomson won't, so obviously they work differently, and our FCO.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

Thomas Cook reported that the Tunisian tragedy cost them £20 million plus

That was a couple of months ago It may likely be more now.

So the Sentido franchise may yet suffer.

Post Revolution TC and Thomson invested heavily in Tunisia.

Both in hotel involvement/upgrades and a massive advertising campaign.

I don't use T/Cook anymore

But in 2011 TC were giving holidays away

They really wanted to "push" Tunisia.

Such were the low prices then, we could afford too and visited 3 times in 2011.. all with Cook

Its like they are waiting /hoping for a swift change of mind from FCO

(advertising packages for next year would make you think that anyway)

I mentioned before that TC and Thomson et al have been lobbying our Govt. to change advice

Hopefully that has fell on deaf ears, for now anyway.

People before profit? .These outfits have that one back to front.

Once again i do not envisage the Travel advice changing for a long time regards Tunisia.

and i have a number of reasons to believe that will be the case ( i wont bore you citing them all)

Both the Tunisia and UK inquest will eventually answer a lot of questions

Thomson, is to be summoned to those enquiries for reasons you all know.

As to the resort hotels.... Well many will get through this, some are at the moment.

But other well known foreign outfits like Riu (who are Spanish owned) may cut there losses and not renew contracts/leases.

Visiting figures(hotel stays) for this year so far are over a million down from 2014

Slainte

Mick

Edited: 23 November 2015, 06:12
Liverpool
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

I've just returned from Riu Marco Polo. It will be Riu until the end of the year, giving the hotel chance to remove all the branding etc. I spoke a lot to the director of the hotel who has said that the hotel will remain open with the same staff. Although there was no more than 40 guests during the week while we were there over 400 Tunisians came for the weekend which is helping the hotel stay open. The main restaurant was closed during the week and one of the smaller restaurants was used, at the weekend everything opened as normal. We can only wait and see what happens. I spoke to the animation team who said that they are paid through the hotel and not by Riu so it has no effect on the team unless the hotel closes.

It was really sad to see such a large hotel so empty. I've just git my fingers crossed that it will change soon but I'm very doubtful. As much as I love Tunisia and I love Marco Polo I can fully understand the decision made by Riu after visiting Tunisia this month.

Edited: 23 November 2015, 06:22
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Hotels in Tunisia

Morning all

This is an excerpt from a an article in a Spanish newspaper regarding Riu in Tunisia

.........Riu Hotels and Resorts is to pull out of Tunisia ..

Sources from the Spanish hotel chain told news agency Efe that it will close operations in the North African country from January 2016 in nine hotels including the Imperial Marhaba

The situation of the tourist sector in Tunisia is very complicated and Riu is currently in talks with the owners of each hotel to decide on our future in each case," sources from the hotel chain said.

Local sources told Spanish news agency Efe that the chain had "abandoned its hotels in Tunisia" since June’s attack...........................

The "complications" referred too would be,i think, legal stuff as to payments/ salaries/,contracts /leases etc

But there is no doubt this hotel chain is "pulling out" of the resorts.

.Sadly, they wont be the last.

It is going to be a tough slog or owners to find new tenants.

.Not to mention new markets.for future visitors

Slainte

Mick

Edited: 23 November 2015, 20:50
Get answers to your questions about Hammamet