We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Hi all... Well we are finally here... Our first day and already we are loving this place!!!

Now everyone has mentioned cheap beer... We have been paying 120B this afternoon... Not complaining!!!

BUT alot of people who have already been here mention beer for 15B!!! Is that true... And where should I go for cheap beer and good atmosphere??!!

Thanks heaps!!!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

711? ;)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

hi Lou B

I have been going to Thailand for about 15 Years and never can I recall paying 15THB in AUD that would only be cents and that is not possible even in Thailand

If you want good atmosphere and the ability to shop around for cheep beer I would recommend OTOP markets about 40 bars and great shopping all in one place tell me ware your staying and i will give you directions

Sharx

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

LOL If you find a bar selling beer for 15baht please let me know quick so I can down a couple before the owner gets carted away to the loony bin for selling it cheaper than he can buy it.

Beer is cheaper if you drink in 'Thai' places but in SOME of these places Farang are not made particularly welcome, that said I have usualy managed to convince them I don't want to pillage the place and have had some great nights.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
297 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Concaved on Patong beach in "low" season were always 35 baht.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Thanks everyone for the heads up! Was thinking that beer that cheap sounded too good to be true! Lol

Sharx, we are at Gracelands! Directions would be wonderful! Thank you!

And 711??? Where is that?

Very rainy n windy at the moment, so these comments will be helping with my plans for today - sitting in a pub and street watching!!

Thanks again!

chittaway bay
Level Contributor
264 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Hi, we are right beside you at Swiss palm resort. Hoping weather better later this morning. 7/11 shop near Eden bungalows down the side lane between our resorts..... Cheap beer for large Chang 50 baht. Also Beach rd at front of resort the little "restaurants" set up selling ribs, fish, chicken is fantastic and cheap drinks too. My family of 4 drinking and eating very cheaply!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

We stayed at Gracelands a couple of weeks ago and I agree with Renae J in regards to the resturants on beach rd. Rambo's was our favourite. When it came to bars we liked a couple...one was the Irish bar (don't know why it is called that, as it wasn't remotely Irish). It is about a 10 minute walk from Gracelands heading toward Bangla rd. Beer was about 70 or 80Bt if I remember correctly. Great for street watching. We also liked the dolphin bar which is right down the other end of beach rd just past holiday inn. Probably better to catch a tuk tuk there if it's raining. They both sell cheap yummy food too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Hi Lou

I think due to the inclement weather conditions this is great place to spend a rainy day, most if not all the bars at the OTOP market have this clear plastic curtain they pull round when it rains so you stay dry and take it away when it stops.

So as I was saying there is maybe 40 bars there and you can shop around for a good price but all in all they are Same Same (LOL sorry coldest resist that)

but don't give up there are some happy hours and specials on.

The other plus to this destination is the markets I would be saying may be 200 or so stalls probably more all under cover.

Getting there from your hotel It's a bit far to walk so jump a Tuk Tuk it will cost 200THB (a bout $6.00 AUD) and ask them for OTOP market, you can have a feed there drink and shop and if you have kids the bar girls will go nuts over Farang kids and even offer to babysit whilst you shop.

The bars and stalls start to open about 10AM and the stalls close around 10:00 or 11:00PM the bars will stay open till 02:00AM if they have customers.

I hope this helps

let me know.

Sharx

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

Beer Bars will normally be the cheapest spots - not sure what the going rate is now, but normally 60bht for singha or sangsom cola.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap beer & good atmosphere??

G'Day Lou

Well how was it did you get to the OTOP? was your holiday everything you expected?

Write a JBR (Just Back Report) telling others how things went and you just may help someone else like you with a great bit of advice or a tip that you found useful.

Let us know how it went.

Sharx