We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

To save me trawling through all of the restaurant posts, can anyone recommend a restaurant in Patong which is cheap, child friendly and not too touristy.

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

Cheap - all, except those big places on the beach road and your hotel restaurants.

Child friendly - all. They don't mind kids, though there may not be child seats at all of them.

Not too touristy ? Where exactly do you think you are going ? Look up "touristy" in the dictionary, and there's a picture of Patong ! Not really big on "quaint" in Patong, though there are some nice, quieter places to eat, even a little classy. But usually they won't be cheap. I can't really help you with those, as we generally go for the "loud".

The green or red curry (and spring rolls if they are on) at Sabai Sabai is a great place to start. I'm not sure if the cheeky waitresses or their grouchy boss makes it "too touristy", but to me it is the very essence of Patong. Good pancakes from the street vendor on the corner there.

If you want reasonably cheap and not too touristy (whatever that means ???), eat out at at an Italian place. It will be just like home.

Better yet, drive out of Patong a km or two on the back road they sometimes take to get you to the airport, and you'll see the places the locals eat out at. I can guarantee you will be the only tourist there.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 13:42
Penang
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

We were in Phuket for a week in early August 2010. We tried several places and our favourite was Tom Seafood where we had our dinner in 3 straight nights. Good food and very good price and the waiters are very friendly and helpful. Its at Rat-U-thit road, but not towards the Bangla road, but the opposite direction. There's a purple bank right opposite this stall..There are many stall-restaurants and look for Tom Seafood. There wasn't any dishes that we didnt like it - all the dishes were awesome and the seafood was fresh.

Another place is Number 1 and his neighbor, Number 5. Both restaurants are also along Rat-U-Thit road, but almost near Bangla road. But Tom Seafood is still worth the price compared to them.

We also had lunch at the famous Tun Ka restaurant at Rang Hill. Tried the recommended prawn with cashew nuts and iced-milk tea. 3 dishes, with rice and 2 milk teas caused us about 500Bhat. Taste - good!

And do try coconut shake - available in any restaurant there...I'm a lover of a tender coconut and loved the coconut shake..I had it almost every night!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

Sort of opposite the Holiday Inn on Rat u Thit Rd and next to Patong O Top towards Jung Ceylon are a series of food stalls surrounding a large expanse of seating, there is nothing special about this place but the food is great, cheap and the locals eat here. Futher north along Rat U Thit Rd past Bang La Rd on the beach side is a large open air area serving food that is full of locals, I'm sure this will be worth a try too. This is actually keeping you out of proper restaurants but it does help remove you from what is familiar to you at home and isn't this why you travel? Keep in mind that these places have jugs of water on the tables, this is bottled water and is safe and free.

At the northern end of Beach Rd where the roundabout is there is a small restaurant overlooking the beach across the road, it's simple and geared more to tourists but has good food, a relaxed atmosphere and would suite your agenda.

Don't be afraid to wing it and discover something new by yourself, it really is quite safe and a lot of good comes from this exercise.

If Thai gets too much and you want a touch of western food, Terrazzo at the Holiday Inn has a great relaxed atmosphere and suprisingly good Italian food.

As mentioned, unless you go to an exclusive (= expensive) restaurant you'll find everything is child friendly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

agree with pokip on the food stalls near otop.... if you are standing looking at the markets there is a money exchange booth to the left on a soi corner.. it is just down here.. some of our best meals were had here.. nothing flash to look at but cheap .. good.. all you could ask for...

Cheers

Chelle

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

hi

all of the above good, some good suggestions there

we used to eat at some food stalls on the road just outside of Graceland, great food and cheap, they have recently moved to Loma Park which is about 500 mt south of Graceland on the beach side, hopefully they are still as cheap when we go back in Sept

Little Tiger restaurant is good, great food, service, prices and views if you go before sunset, but you will need a tuk tuk to get there,its 5 min ride out of Patong south end toward Merlin Beach Resort, you get to it off a driveway to the left just before MBR, worth a trip out but have a tuk tuk fare to add on, great for anyone staying at MBR

pretty much everywhere is child friendly, i'm sure you will find somewhere to suit yourselves when you get there, so many good places to choose from

Adelaide
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

I think Sabai Sabai would be just waht you are looking for. Casual, relaxed, central, great Thai Food, cheap and they do toasted Ham & Cheese sandwiches etc for the kids.

Take your own bottle of wine - no probs...

7. Re: Cheap restaurant - not too touristy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 17:16