We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
238 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be heading from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi in June. Originally, we were looking at taking an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, then transfer train stations, and then take a train from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi later in the afternoon. Not the most efficient from a time or budget standpoint. We don't have the budget to hire a private car or taxi and will probably end up taking the quickest version of bus or train transport that we can find.

After some research, I have heard mentions of a bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi, although accounts and details seem muddy and conflicting. According to some forum members, it is possible to hop on a bus in Chiang Mai and end up in Kanchanaburi 10 or so hrs later. According to others, one would have to switch buses in Ayutthaya, and possibly even stay in Ayutthaya overnight. I have searched online and found very little information about bus services from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi.

A TA member created a post in December 2013 about a new VIP bus service that goes directly from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi. He/she said it left from the number 2 train station in Chiang Mai, took about 11 hrs, and made several stops along the way but no transfers were necessary. A phone number was mentioned but no email or website, or even the name of the company running the buses. There were no responses to the post and it was subsequently closed.

Does anyone have any information on bus services from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi? Are there any direct routes or is a transfer in Ayutthaya absolutely necessary? Has anyone heard of this mysterious VIP bus service?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya
Ayutthaya Province, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

I wanted to take the same bus in Thailand with my friends, did you finally take this bus ? If it's the case how was it ?

Thank in advance

Mentioned in this post
Macau, China
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi, me too, would like to know the best ways to get to Kanchanaburi from Chiang Mai... Have heard that there are flights, which I think should be the faster (but more costly) way?!?! Actually, where I really want to go is Sangkhlaburi...

Victor

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
238 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi,

We took the Sasanan overnight bus from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi last June. Price was around 900 baht per person for the VIP tickets. At first, all seemed ok. We boarded and departed on time. Seats were large and comfortable, and reclined quite a bit. The air conditioning, while not running very strongly, was at least functional. All passengers were quiet and almost everyone was trying to get some rest. As seems to be the custom in Thailand, there was an overly loud and obnoxious variety show being played on the tv at the front of the bus. Nobody, farang (we were actually the only farang on board) or Thai, seemed to want to watch the show so we were able to convince the staff to turn it off early so that passengers could sleep.

The problem started around midnight. My wife and I both woke up dripping in sweat. The vents were pumping hot air into the cabin; not ambient air from outside the bus, but HOT air. Everyone around us was in the same state of discomfort. There was a heavy woman across the aisle from us who was really struggling with the heat. The crew was clearly aware of this problem. After about half an hour, the bus pulled into a stop and let us all off. We switched to another bus that was definitely NOT VIP - it stopped every 20 minutes to let people on and off, and the passengers were generally very loud, even at 3 or 4 in the morning. We did make it to Kanchanaburi, on time no less, but the ride was miserable. We received no refund for the difference in ticket price. Incidentally, our only other long-term bus during our 31-day trip in Thailand and surrounds (Siem Reap to Bangkok) ALSO started pumping hot air into the cabin, and subsequently broke down on the side of the highway. Just really bad luck, I guess.

In retrospect, we should have flown from CM to Bangkok and then taken the train to Kan. The crew on the original VIP bus was accommodating during our bus transfer, but it would have been nice to have received a partial refund considering the massive downgrade in quality of the experience. As mentioned above, we did arrive around the original scheduled time, but we didn't sleep at all on the second bus, and lost half a day in Kan as a result. If you have the same luck as we did, definitely fly between CM and BKK, and take the train between BKK and Kan.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi,

You had some bad luck regarding the air con. On VIP buses I have travelled on the air con is way too cold.

Victor, there are no direct flights from Chiang Mai since Kanchanaburi does not have an airport. Sangkhlaburi can be reached from Kanchanaburi by air con bus/non air con bus and minivan. The journey is amazing and I suggest stopping off in Thong Pha Phum if time permits. Do be aware that Sangkhlabuti gets very busy at the weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi

If you take the night bus from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi, you will be able to take the bus from the bus station to Sangkhlaburi. This way you will not need to stay overnight in Kanchanaburi.

However if you take the flight or train (both of which ends up in Bangkok) and then onward journey to Kanchanaburi, it will be best to stay overnight in Kanchanaburi before continuing your journey to Sangkhlaburi.

If you decide to stop off at Thong Pha Phum as suggested and you are taking the mini bus or public bus, then you must prepare to stay a night there and continue your journey to Sangkhlaburi the next day. If you are taking a private car transfer (which is very costly), then you could discuss about stopping at Thong Pha Phum to look around before continuing your journey.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Hi Victor,

Travel info: https:/…Arriving.And.Departing.html

Macau, China
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Thanks Judy and Andy, I will take note of your sound advices and the website is very useful as well ^^

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

Welcome Victor,

Actually, it is possible to stop off at Thong Pha Phum if you set out early enough. Another possibility is to visit the Hin Dat Springs on the way there or on the way back. However, you will have to make sure of the times of the slower non air con buses since the air con ones and minivans do not pick passengers up there.

19. Re: Direct bus service from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 17:17