We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

I am travelling to Thailand on 23/11/12 with my partner for his suprise 30th. We are staying in Bangkok on the 24th and 25th. I intend on getting the 7:45 train to Kanchanaburi on 26/11/12. We are then having to get the 14:44 train back on the 27/11/12 as we join an organised tour on the 28/11/12 and have to be back for 6pm on 28/11/12. I would like to stay until the 28/11/12 in Kanchanburi if there is a way of definatley getting back to the hotel in Bangkok by 6pm.

If not i plan the following itinerary but not sure if we are going to be tight on time. advice please...

On Monday 26/11/12 depart Bangkok 7:45 and travel to Kanchanaburi (arrive 10:50) hire a taxi to hellfire pass. Go from Hellfire pass to Sai Yok waterfall. Get there at 2pm spend an hour then get the taxi to drop back at Nam Tok station in time for the 15:15. Travel back to Kanchanaburi (arrive 17:41) spend the night.

On 27/11/12 visit the JEATH war museum opens @ 8:30am. After this go to the cemetery and then onto the war museum at the bridge which opens at 7:00am leave at 14:44 arrive back in Bangkok at 17:35.

Appreciate your time

Kerrie

Edited: 05 January 2012, 06:22
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

Hi,

Aside from what you have mentioned the Erawan Falls are worth visiting.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

At your hotel you should be able to book a mini bus back to Bangkok which is much faster than the train. We went there by train and back by airconditioned mini bus. At the hotel we stayed at, they offered tours by 'Good times Travel service' at very resonable cost which included lunch. Check out their web site but book when you get there. We also went to the Monkey School which was entertaining and we bottle fed a baby monkey. Our hotel organised free transport to the monkey school.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

Have to agree...contact Good times travel.It was actually cheaper for us to tailor make a tour for us than do it ourselves.And if you havent booked anywhere,VN GUesthouse is a bargain!!

We got a mini bus back to bangkok.A bit squishy but VERY cheap and picked us up from the guesthouse.just book it when you get there.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:17
Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

thanks for the advice I have actually booked 2 nights stay now as I felt there was a lot to see and do. We are planning on leaving on the 7:45 train on the Monday and get back to bangkok by 18:00 on the Wednesday. we have booked to stay at the sabai@kan if anyone has any views on this. I think the bus back sounds a fab idea. Roughly how long is the journey so we can plan roughly what time to leave.

Thanks

Kerrie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

Bus takes approx. 2 hours, get your hotel to organise it for you and you will be picked up from your hotel, check out this web site kanchanaburi.sawadee.com/bus.htm#AirconBKK

Good Times Travel have more tours than what is on their web site. We did Sai Yok falls, hot springs, Hell fire pass, JEATH War Museum, a Cave and included train ride over the River Kwai all in one day, it was a great trip with good driver and friendly knowledgeable guide at a good price. Hotel should have brochures of tours and prices. Or email: good_times_travel@hotmail.com

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

thats great thanks any idea what the hotel i have booked is like

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

No didn't see that hotel, but going by the reviews it looks good and has a pool. The hotel you are staying in is in the same street where we stayed, good location. We stayed at Blue Star guest house on the river in quirky timber cottages, but would only recommend it for backpackers. We liked it because it was different and very cheap. We were in Thailand for 3 1/2 weeks and were on a budget.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

If you do return to Bangkok by bus note that the faster, air conditioned vehicle does not leave from the bus station but a couple of hundred meters away.

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

Thanks both

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,281 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Kanchanaburi what is the best thing to do.

The train is far more of an experience than a bus - with nice cold cheap beer sold on board too!

It's only right that a journey to see the Death Railway and the (rail) bridge over the Kwai is made on the Death railway itself!

PoWs built the line north of Kan'buri, the bit south of Kan'buri to the junction with the main Bangkok-Singapore line at Nong pladuck was built by Thai slave labour.