We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Dear all,

Please advice. Will be taking a train from Thon Buri train station to Kanchanaburi. Planning to take the 750am train from Thon Buri (arrives River Kwai at 11) and the train that leaves River Kwai at 1430. Unable to stay a night there as accommodation is already booked for in BKK and I only realised of this beautiful place after the booking.

Is it possible to visit River Kwai Bridge, War Cemetery and Tham Krasae (love the view there as well as how the empty railway track looks) in between both train rides? Can I take a taxi ride from River Kwai Bridge to THam Krasae (how long it takes and how much)? Or should I just forgo Tham Krasae and just stay at River Kwai station and head back to BKK there after?

Are there any other trains other than the service from Thon Buri? It seems like people were able to visit River Kwai Bridge and also get on a train towards Nam Tok on vlogs but I am assuming they probably already arrived at River Kwai before the train from BKK arrives, hence allowing them to get on after.

Thank you in advance!

17 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

If you cannot stay overnight you will have more time if you return to Bangkok with a bus (or a minivan but I dislike them).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Thank you!

Getting around Kanchanaburi, hell fire and the like can get really pricey from the taxi quotes I see online.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

I will add that I have once taken a minivan back from Kanchanaburi exactly due to scheduling issues and I did not like the ride. I'll try and take a bus or the train if there is a next time.

I'm not a Kanchanaburi expert but as a general observation tours etc. advertised on the Web seem to be much more expensive than the equivalents you can buy on the spot. I have a recollection of local transportation being discussed on the Kanchanaburi forum so it should be worthwhile to read past posts.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
281 reviews
4. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Hi

Train is a long journey of 3 hours or more to Nam Tok. Why not join a day trip from BKK instead. Varies from THB 1000 - 1700 per pax depending on the package.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
1 review
5. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Personally I would "take the hit" on the accommodation and still do an overnight there is plenty of cheap accommodation (less than 500 Baht) in Kanchanaburi and for one night does it matter if it is not overly luxurious.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

I have just taken the mini bus from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok yesterday and the trip was very pleasant. Personally I feel if you are not too tall, it is not a problem with mini van. Most westerners have a problem because of their height.

If you are not staying overnight, you should consider taking a bus back as that would really give you time to see more. Joining a day tour from Bangkok would be a good idea as you will be able to cover most places.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,354 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Hi,

Should you decide to visit for just one day I'd take the 07.50 train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi. Do note that there is a halt just before the Bridge. You can take a look and then walk (40 minutes) to the Thai Burma Railway Museum and the main War Cemetery.

However, you should spend a night in Kanchanaburi or Sai Yok to visit the places you mention. Yes, you can hire a songtaow (pick up truck) to drive you Krasae but I don't know the cost. Note that there is a weekend excursion train which departs from Hualamphong at 06.30.

Should you head back to Bangkok on the same day I would definitely take a bus, minivans can be terribly cramped and uncomfortable! Note that buses can drop passengers down at Pinklao from where it is easy to get hold of a taxi to take you back to your hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Dear all,

Thanks for the warm response! Deeply appreciated. The community here is great.

I am definitely leaning towards taking the hit and staying one night in Kanchanaburi because of all the beautiful things you all have to say about the place and how it may be a rush getting the train back to BKK.

Quick questions:

1. If I were to drop at Tham Kra Sae at around 1140 train and await for the 1315 train back to River Kwai bridge (where I will most likely stay) - Are there sufficient things to do there while waiting? I.e other than seeing the rail way, I can have a good enough lunch there? (From what I see from forum posts, there seem to be restaurant nearby)

2. If I were to drop at Nam Tok at around 1220 and depart from there at 1515 via train to head back to River Kwai to settle, is there enough time for me to visit Hellfire and have lunch before rushing back?

Thanks for all the kind sharing so far.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,354 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Hi,

You can take a look at the cave and eat nearby, no worries on that score. Secondly, you can reach the Hellfire Pass by means of songtaow. from Nam Tok. Personally, I wouldn't rush back to Nam Tok and take the train. Indeed, a better option is to travel back to Kanchanaburi by bus.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)

Hi

You would probably spend about 10 min in the cave. It is not a big cave. But you can have lunch and enjoy the view.

It takes about half hour by song teow from Nam Tok to Hellfire Pass. Depending on when you will be there, you might hsve enough time. The museum is still under renovation. So you can only do the walk along the cutting and to the memorial. That will take about 40 mins or linger if you wish to sit and listen to the full audio set (which you can rent at the museum entrance).

You can choose to either go back by train or by bus. Best if you decide ahead because if you wish to go back by train, you need to negiotiate a return trip by song teow.

Reply to: BKK - Kanchanaburi - BKK (Same Day)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kanchanaburi