We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some train questions please

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Some train questions please

We have decided to take the train one way between Kanchanburi and Namtok and bus/car the other way.

1.Are the morning trains to Namtok more likely to be running on time than the afternoon return journey?

2.Is one direction likely to much more crowded than the other?

We are still deciding whether to ride the train between Kanchanburi and Bangkok.

I read on another post:

"A couple of observations on the tourist train, in 3rd class at least. The opposing seats are uncomfortably close, I suspect even for an average sized Thai. At 1,8m I found it really uncomfortable. The windows are relatively small with one half of the window having thick steel bars across it, so not ideal at all for a scenic tourist train"

3.Would this be the case on the normal train too? We have long legs..

4.How is 2nd class different on the tourist train?

5.Do 2nd class seats sell out on the Namtok/Kanchanburi sector for the normal train?

6. Is there any way of pre purchasing a ticket on the tourist train for Nakhon Pathom to Namtok.. We will only be arriving in Thailand 2 days before and I'm guessing tickets will be sold out by then.(traveling around 20th January).

Thank you

26 replies to this topic
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some train questions please

Hi,

You have some very good questions and I shall answer them as best as I can.

1. In my experience both the morning and afternoon trains run late but the afternoon ones tend to be later.

2. The trains returning to Kanchanaburi from Nam Tok are usually more crowded since persons on one day tours join them at Tham Krasae Bridge. This applies to the 15.30 service in particular from Nam Tok. However, I have always found a seat. For the best views to sit on the right hand side of the train. I haven't travelled on the tourist train so I am unable to comment as to how close the seats are.

3. The normal trains are good enough for me, you can always get up and stretch your legs and walk around.

4 and 5. I don't think there are second class trains on the route, I certainly haven't travelled on one.

5. You can buy advance tickets for the tourist train online, more about that later. For the Ordinary trains just show up 30 minutes before the train is due to depart to buy tickets.

Edited: 10 November 2017, 11:58
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some train questions please

Hi again,

For advance weekend train tickets do e mail the following:

info@thailandtrainticket.com

I have been in touch with them recently and they are very helpful.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some train questions please

Thank you Andy. Great info.

If we prebook tourist train tickets through the website is there any way of specifying seats on the best side of the train for the view?

Are seats allocated on purchase when buying tickets on the ordinary train?

Another question please....

We're thinking of staying a night in Nakhon Pathom (palace, chedi, night market) and catching the Namtok train there.

We have plenty of days to stop everywhere and its nice to get a little of the main tourist trail sometimes.

But I'm confused. The train timetable shows departure times from Nakhon Pathom.

However the hotel websites show hotel distances only from Nakhon Pladuk and Ban Pong railways stations under "distances to nearest public transport".

Do all the Kanchanaburi trains stop at Nakhon Pathom?

I'm guessing that perhaps its the Surat Thani ones that don't which won't be a problem for us.

Thank you again

Edited: 10 November 2017, 12:53
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some train questions please

Hi AprilinVietam,

If you pre-book your tickets on the website do explain which seats you would like. Not that it really matters because you can cross from one side of the rail carriage to the other.

No seats are allocated when travelling on an Ordinary train.

All Kanchanaburi bound trains stop at Nakhon Pathom, it is a major station. Why are you confused about departure times from there?

While Nong Pladuak is a small station all Kanchanaburi bound trains stop there, the same can be said for Ban Pong.

Some of the Surat Thani bound trains stop in Ban Pong but not all, is there any particular service you are interested in?

All the best, Andy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some train questions please

Thanks Andy

I was confused because the hotels in Nakhon Pathom list Nong Pladuk and Ban Pong as their nearest railway stations not Nakhon Pathom. No idea why this is, so thank you for reassuring me that the train will stop in Nakhom Pathom. Departure times from Nakhom Pathom seem clear: 8:20am for tourist train and 9:02am for normal train. Back to the comment someone made about lack of leg room on the tourist train - do the tourist train and normal train look the same re seating and windows?

Do you have any knowledge about public transport in Nakhom Pathom please? I'm assuming the hotel could organise something to the train station (hope they speak some English), but wondering about getting back to the hotel from the night market next to the chedi. I think its about 4kms. Sadly, I don't speak any Thai.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some train questions please

Hi AprilinVietam,

Clearly, the hotels that you have looked at are a few kms outside Nakhon Pathom. If this is of concern to you do note that you can visit NP from Kanchanaburi. All Thai towns of any size have a songtaow service from one end to the other. And, I am sure any hotel that you may stay at can arrange transport for you.

For a look inside and Ordinary train please see link below:

https:/…Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

They may not look exactly the same but they certainly are similar. I wouldn't worry about speaking any Thai, most foreign visitors don't. What Thai I did learn years ago has since been long forgotten and I can get around OK. Indeed, many people speak at least a little English.

Trains depart from Nong Pladuak at 09.05 and 15.21 for Kanchanaburi.

I should also add that the Kanchanaburi bound trains do not stop at the main railway station in Ban Pong but at a small halt a couple of kms outside town.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some train questions please

We've visited the Kanchanaburi area 4 times now, 3 times independently, and the first visit was a tour from Bangkok.

The last time we visited was in February this year, and the following is how it went...

The Ordinary train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…80970228

Day trip to Hellfire Pass from Kanchanaburi by bus, returning by Ordinary train...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…80986688

The 0719 Ordinary train back from Kanchanaburi to Thonburi...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…81053765

On the 3 occasions we've returned to Kanchanaburi by train from Nam Tok the train has set off more or less on time at 1530, and has been about half full to start with. But the train soon starts to run a bit behind time and does fill up with camera clickers.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some train questions please

Hi

Since the upgrade of the lines last year, the trains have been rather on time.

It is more likely to be crowded from Krasae Cave to Kanchanaburi because all tours will take the customers to Krasae Cave for the 3.50pm train ride for 2 stops towards Kanchanaburi.

I do not think there is a problem on the seats for the normal train. It is only 3rd class, meaning the seats are hard and there is no air con but have not heard anyone complaining about the space.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some train questions please

Judy, all the seats in 3rd Class aren't hard......there are carriages with plastic covered cushioned seats, they might not be soft, but they're a notch up from the wooden seats.

There's adequate room between the seats unless the train is packed and folk are carting their kitchen sink with them.

Lack of a/c isn't a problem.....the windows will be open, and there are usually several deck-head or bulk-head fans through the carriages. There could be a bit of annoyance with dust or other airborne bits of muck coming in through a window, so not a good idea to wear your Sunday best.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some train questions please

Giant_Axe, good to know that not all the seats are hard. My guests always tell me that the seats are hard. Guess they must have gone to the wrong carriages.

Reply to: Some train questions please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted