We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi there!

My partner and I will be making our way from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, staying 2nights in x2 River Kwai and wish to visit Erawan Falls but have some queries - trawled the forum for answers but still slightly confused. Hope I can get some help here!

I Googled and found that from X2 to Erawan falls takes about 1h - would this journey be best made via bus/tuktuk/ songtaew or if we rent a car?

If by tuktuk/songtaew would anyone here have any idea around how much it would cost us?

My main concern is the journey from erawan back to Kanchanaburi town - how easily would i be able to get any forms of transport back on the same day?

Thank you!

19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Thanks for the tips!!

Right now I am definitely more inclined towards renting a car once I arrive in Kanchanaburi town and driving around.. also potentially saving some songthew costs - so far sounds to me songthews in Kanchanaburi are much more pricey than transports in Bangkok :(

Any recommendations for car rental companies? I’ve tried to search online but came out with nothing. Just a small car would do, most importantly it needs to be safe..

Edited: 08 November 2017, 12:00
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi

You cannot rent online. Once you are in Kanchanaburi head for the tourist strip (ask to be stopped at Tesco Express) and you will find the shops with cars to rent.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

There are a couple of places near the Phon Phen Guest House on the main tourist strip where it is possible to rent a car. Do check the car over carefully though and expect to pay about 1,000 baht.

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Thanks for the advice AjamAndy and Judyksp!

Any specifics to check the car for? Headlights, etc?

If i only have one full day in Kanchanaburi, would Erawan falls be more of an attraction of would Huay Kamin falls? I do love waterfalls but read that the route to Huay Kamin isn't too smooth of a driive and its easy to get lost

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

You are spot on, do check the headlights, that was exactly the issue we had! The road to the Huay Kamin is straightforward enough, once you are on it I fail to see how you can lose yourself. With and early start to the day you will have time to visit both but visit the Erawan Falls first because the crowds appear shortly after 09.00.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi

The drive to Huay Mae Khamin is an easy drive - with beautiful scenery. The only problem with visiting both waterfalls is that you have to pay 300 baht per person per waterfall. I guess you will also have to weigh that against the time you will be spending in each of them.

Go to Erawan first and if you feel like it, you can then drive to Huay Mae Khamin from there. It is about 45 min drive from Erawan to Huay Mae Khamin, and the falls closes at 4pm.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi again,

The Huay Kamin Falls receive far fewer visitors which makes a visit more worthwhile. I would say the drive between the two is closer to an hour.

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi there thanks again for all the tips and advice

I am feeling quite reassured already, looking forward to the trip!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi Silow,

You have several good reasons to be looking forward to the trip. Note that there are plenty of places to stop off and eat along the way.

Reply to: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted