We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi there!

My partner and I will be making our way from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, staying 2nights in x2 River Kwai and wish to visit Erawan Falls but have some queries - trawled the forum for answers but still slightly confused. Hope I can get some help here!

I Googled and found that from X2 to Erawan falls takes about 1h - would this journey be best made via bus/tuktuk/ songtaew or if we rent a car?

If by tuktuk/songtaew would anyone here have any idea around how much it would cost us?

My main concern is the journey from erawan back to Kanchanaburi town - how easily would i be able to get any forms of transport back on the same day?

Thank you!

Denmark
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

Easiest way to go to Erawan Waterfalls from Kanchanaburi is with the local (non-aircon) bus #8170 from the bus station. Trip takes about 1.5 hour, price is about 50 Baht. First bus is leaving Kanchanaburi at 08.00 AM, and then every 50 min. Same bus is returning to the city - notice that the last bus back is leaving the waterfalls at 16.00 o'clock.

Edited: 06 November 2017, 03:07
Durham, England
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Probably best getting the hotel to book you a songtaew, you're staying a bit out of town so you will need to get one to take you into town anyway.

Denmark
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

I just realized that the X2 River Kwai Resort is located outside the city, so you would need to get into town first to get the local bus. Maybe it would be better for you to make your hotel arrange at least the transportation to the waterfalls, and then take the bus back to the city - and then either a tuk-tuk or make the hotel pick you up at the bus station when you are back.

Edited: 06 November 2017, 03:22
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,526 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

I believe your best bet is to arrange transport through your hotel/guest house to/from the Falls. For public transport in the area see link below:

https:/…Arriving.And.Departing.html

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi

From X2, you would need private transport to go directly to Erawan. Your hotel should be able to arrange it.

Typically the cost of 1 way or 2 way is about the same. Check for the price of X2 to Erawan and then to Kanchanaburi. The drivers are normally more than happy to wait at Erawan for you.

You can also get public bus from Erawan to Kanchanaburi. Last bus is at 4pm and journey is 1.5 hours. I would not recommend that ypu take a bus from X2 to Kanchanaburi and then another bus from Kanchanaburi to Erawan. Buses to Erawan runs every 50min and journey is 1.5 hours.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,526 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

Exactly, it is not feasible by bus.

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Oh man, I had booked super early for x2 and got a good price :( should have done better research before booking.

Would anyone here roughly know how much a songtaew 2way from x2 would cost?

Trying to weigh and see if it would be better to rent a car for 2days in Kanchanaburi instead - read on another forum on TA that the roads are pretty ok but car condition not so much, so would prefer to avoid that!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,526 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

About 1,500 baht to the Falls and back. You could hire a car for about 1,000 baht and travel that much further and see more, namely the Huay Kamin Falls which are about 60 kms north of the Erawan.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi

I doubt you will be able to hire a car when you arrive in X2. If you wish to rent you will have to be in town.

Once you reach X2 everything would be more or less organized by them. Even your song teow would cost more.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,526 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Getting from x2 River Kwai to Erawan Falls & back

Hi,

To be clear you must hire a car in Kanchanaburi town. As Judy rightly suggests any transport arranged through X2 is likely to cost more. The roads in Kanchanaburi Province are well signposted, especially those leading to the main tourist spots.