We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hello helpful TripAdvisors,

I was hoping for some advice on how realistic a two-day itinerary would be for our trip in January...

We are hoping to get the early (7.45) train from Bangkok all the way through to Nam Tok to go on the famous stretch of the railway. It's scheduled to arrive at 12.30 but have heard the trains are often running late.

We were thinking of staying in one of the raft hotels on the stretch of the river near Nam Tok - and then hiring a driver for the rest of the day to visit the Hellfire Pass and then Erawan Falls.

Then we'd get a car back to Kanchanburi the next morning to visit the town and sites before the return train to Bangkok at 14.45.

Does this sound do-able? We're open to staying in Kanchanburi itself if that might make things easier, but would really like to do both the Pass and the falls, I don't know how feasible that is in a day, if it gets dark early. Maybe we would have to choose between the two...

And is it simple to pick a driver in Nam Tok..? I'm guessing better to try and book because it's a small town.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I've been reading the forum and people have been very kind and helpful.

7 replies to this topic
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hi,

On the first day you will only have time to visit the Hellfire Pass or the Falls, not both. I suggest you take a songtaow from Nam Tok station and visit the Hellfire Pass which is closer. Once you have visited it get the driver to take you to your accommodation. On day two I suggest you hire a car + driver and visit the Erawan Falls. Visit them early and take a bus to Kanchanaburi, it takes about 1.5 hours. Once in town you can visit the Bridge, the Thai - Burma Railway Museum and main War Cemetery. Later in the day return to Bangkok by bus. Hope this helps for a start, it's the best option since you would like to visit the Hellfire Pass and the Falls.

Cheers, Andy.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hi,

The ordinary train to Nam Tok departs from Thon Buri Railway Station,

NOT from the Bangkok's main railway station named Hua Lamphong

Railway Station, so beware.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Thank you very much both, that's really helpful

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hi,

Welcome, I should also add that even if you stay in Kanchanaburi you will not have time to visit the Hellfire Pass and the Falls in one day. Indeed, I would stick to your original plan and stay in Sai Yok and follow the advice given in my first post.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Thank you, I've now investigated the bus which gives us a lot more time on the second day and so we've decided to book accommodation in Sai Yok and go to the Hellfire Pass first day after we get off the train - and then the falls and the sites of Kanchanaburi on the second day as you suggested. Thanks for your kind suggestions, it was very helpful.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hi Jessica,

You are welcome, to be extra safe you could arrange transport through your hotel/guest house to pick you up at Nam Tok to take you to the Hellfire Pass and then on to your accommodation later in the day.

Another possibility is to arrange transport, visit the Hellfire Pass and then head north and take a dip in the Hin Dat Hot Springs, they are something else!

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls

Hi

If you are staying in Sai Yok, I suggest you get a driver and car for the next day if you wish to get to Erawan. The driver can then take you back to Kanchanaburi from Erawan and you can spend some time at the Bridge and Death Railway Museum (if you still have time) before heading back to Bangkok. Do note that the museum closes at 5pm.

Reply to: Staying near Nam Tok and visiting Hellfire Pass/Erawan Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted