We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Lake Forest, IL
Level Contributor
125 posts
46 reviews
Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

I have contacted the Cemetery museum in Kanachanburi and apparently there are 170 Millers buried there. They said I need to know his full name. I can find no reference to it, only the nickname. He is 'famous' for his composure in the POW camp 'hospital', so much so that he was crucified by a Japanese guard just 2 weeks before liberation. Most of the internet accounts are how he (British) and Dinty Moore (American) attended to the sick prisoners, saving the life of Eric Gordon who went from being an atheists to the Dean of the Chapel at Princeton. I hope to lay flowers at his gravesite. If I can figure out his name, they can direct me to his location. TIA.

Durham, England
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

If you put Chong Kai war cemetary into Google maps it shows the route, not to far.

Denmark
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
12. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Hi,

The Chungkai War Cemetary is located quite near the big War Cemetary in Kanchanaburi. Besides there is the Thanbyuzayat War Cemetary located in Myanmar (Burma). They are all three kept and taken care of by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, who are also administering the registration of the POWs. However, the Thailand-Burma Railway Museum just next to the Kanchanaburi War Cemetary is also researching the history of the soldiers, as well as they have registered the exact location of each and every headstone at the cemetaries.

It might be useful to pay them a visit, they are very friendly and helpful to people, families, relatives, friends and others who need help finding someone they are missing from that time.

Edited: 29 October 2017, 05:38
Denmark
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Hi,

Here's a map showing the locations and the route between the two War Cemeteries in Kanchanaburi

https://goo.gl/maps/gtPD5y4GjRN2

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,521 posts
42 reviews
14. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Hi,

Indeed, as suggested the Chungkai Cemetery is in Kanchanaburi and a bout a 40 minute walk from the main cemetery which is opposite the Thai - Burma Railway. If you have the chance meet up with the curator at the latter who is an extremely helpful person.

Denmark
Level Contributor
370 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Hi,

As suggested by AjarnAndy you should try to arrange a meeting with the founder and leader of the Thailand-Burma Railway Museum, Mr. Rod Beattie. He is an Australian who has researched The Death Railway history for, I think, at least the last 20 years. He has big knowledge, and has also written a lot of material about this subject.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,521 posts
42 reviews
16. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

Hi,

Indeed kanfan, he is the person I was referring to earlier. His in depth knowledge of the area is simply unbeatable.

17. Re: Find "Dusty Miller" grave:real name needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2018, 15:17