We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi

My husband and I had a lovely time in Kanchanaburi, the only regret is it was too short!

Hope to share through a trip report, I forgotten quite a few details as we went last month and I did not make any note. Apology for the lack of details.

We took flight into Bangkok and reached at midnight. The immigration queue in DMK airport was horrendous, queued for 2 hours before we made our way to taxi stand for the ride to our hostel of the night - @Hualamphong.

We chose to stay there because we wanted to taxi tourist train to Kanchanaburi. The stay was alright, the room and bathroom were clean although the lift was quite slow and ancient but definitely doable with taking staircase if you do not have huge luggages.

Unfortunately we went to Hua Lamphong station at 5.30am (by crossing the road and turn left to the station, approx. 3 mins walk) and was told ticket for tourist train was sold out. I tried to ask many agencies, few hostels including @hualamphong hostel and Thai train department for purchase of the tickets but was told it cannot be done.

We had plan B - we took cab to Bangkok Noi (Thonburi) station for train ride to Kanchanaburi. We were there by 6am and purchase the earliest train ticket to Kanchanaburi 100Baht for one ticket at 7.55am.

With time on hand, we went to explore markets right beside the train station. Had fun seeing the local market and we also had our pork porridge and two sweet Thai tea breakfast in the market.

Went back to the station and realized the station was full of people - local and tourists alike.

We boarded 2nd train car with wooden seats, it was very atmospheric although if you like to have comfortable seat, you may want the 1st train car with blue cushion seats.

From Thonburi to Nam Tok direction, the Wampo viaduct view is on left hand side. For us, we took the right hand side to enjoy sceneries to Nam Tok and when we return from Nam Tok to Kanchanaburi, we changed seat to the other side for Wampo viaduct view.

It was interesting 5 hours ride to Nam Tok, at certain points, the train was extremely crowded that people have to stand up. When we reached Nam Tok, there was 15mins stopover, my husband went down to purchase ticket back to Kanchanaburi at same price 100Baht.

The train ride was absolutely gorgeous. There were plenty food and drink offered in the train. The sellers would board at one station, walked around and alighted at next station. I dont have experience with tourist train but I think this local train is excellent and it just fit in well into our itinerary.

At 3pm, we finally reached Kanchanaburi and took Songtheaw to our guesthouse Good Times Resort. It was about 5-10mins ride away and costed 80Baht for two people. Excellent resort with beautiful garden and by the river. Room was spacious and spotless clean. Good WiFi too. Our room was 1.5K Baht.

We reached in no time, got ourselves checked in and rented motorbike from them. I think it was 300Baht for 24 hours but I can't quite remember now. They took one passport and gave us two OK helmet. We took the excellent local map from the staff and went out to find very late lunch.

Jolly frog was highly recommended but the Thai food disappointed us. Perhaps we were there at bad time. After disappointing late lunch, we went to the war cemetery. It was well maintained and it was a humbling experience. Didn't stay for long because we were aiming for sunset at River Kwai Bridge.

At this point, we were also looking for petrol because our motorbike has only one bar of petrol but could not find one. Turned out, when we came out from the small road where Good Times resort locates, all we need to do was drive straight to main road and Caltex is just on the left hand side. But anyway, it was good enough for us to drive to River Kwai bridge where we enjoyed a beautiful sunset with local kids serenading with guitars.

Shopped around for awhile and decided to hit the road to Saturday Walking Street. Found the place near downtown, it was good fun although there was not much to buy or eat compared to BKK or CM night markets. Opposite the walking street, there was a small open air food market where many stalls sold seafood and noodles. Cheap and good.

Few hundred meters from here, we finally found the petrol station and filled up full tank 150Baht which lasted us till we returned the bike.

Back to the resort, we had a shower and went out to find massage. We turned right from Good Times resort and kept walking till we found a place with good masseurs - it has pink signboard and Korean characters. Massage was 300 Baht per hour for oil massage.

After the massage, it was close to 11pm but decided to make full use of our one night there, we walked to an Australian bar with live band music. Had few Chang and called it a night.

The next morning, we woke up early and had breakfast inclusive in the room, set up was gorgeous by the river. We checked out and left hotel at 8.30am. We were aiming for Hell Fire pass that day. It was easy ride, it was on one highway with signboards everywhere - 80 KM from where we were. It took us 2 hours with few photo stops along the way. The ride there was quite cold in the morning, a thin jacket would be advisable.

The Hell Fire pass museum was well set up, the audio guide well worth the money because it gave you so much information to understand and to feel what the prisoners of war and romusha had experienced and went through.

We took the walk up to the Kwae Noi viewpoint. Hintok cutting to compressor cutting was closed by the military at the moment. Walk the staircase route back to the museum, not recommended if you are unstable on foot.

Excellent museum and walk, a must visit if you are in the area. I wish I had more time but it was time to go. We spent about 2 hours here.

We continued our ride to Sai Yok waterfall, the ride back felt much faster, we got there by 1pm plus and had our lunch in local eatery opposite waterfall. There was this biggest shop right at the end selling noodles and grilled meat. They were really delicious!

After lunch, went to check up the waterfall but it was dried in this season. It was still a good stopover although we did not climb up to the cave because we were running out of time.

Soon we made our way to Tham Krasak and Wampo Viaduct. To get there, you would need to ride down a small road about 2KM, it was windy road but not many vehicles in that road. It was manageable if you have ridden before.

Tham Krasak was gorgeous but nothing beats the view out of Tham Krasak - the Wampo viaduct. We obviously had to walk on the railway to experience it but I got jelly knees when I was mid way looking down to the river so I had to turn around. We went to the restaurant by the railway which gave great view of the viaduct, I had another Chang and my husband unfortunately was designated driver so cant drink. We were lucky that the train passed through and gave us great photo opportunity. It was about 4pm when the train passed.

I did some shopping in the area, bought gorgeous dress at 200 Baht. We rode back to our guesthouse at 4.15pm and reached about 5.30pm. Had our dinner in guesthouse's restaurant, the food was just so delicious and divine! The view was gorgeous with sunset on the other side of river.

At 6.30pm, we took our pre arranged taxi (2500Baht) to DMK airport. We reached before 9pm. We had plenty of time because our flight was scheduled at midnight. Perhaps we were lucky with the infamous BKK traffic. Well better be there early than late. We just spent our time lounging about in the airport.

Had great time - definitely will be back to explore more. There is temples, Giant tree, Erawan falls and museums to be visited!

Any question, please ask, I will do my best to answer.

Thanks.

Syllaw

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Good Times Resort
Good Times Resort
710 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
River Kwai Bridge Resort
River Kwai Bridge Resort
253 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Sai Yok
Sai Yok
Giant Tree Kanchanaburi
Giant Tree Kanchanaburi
113 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
343 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Oops! Sorry for various typos in the report.

I meant I tried to ask for tourist train tickets purchase in advance.

Syllaw

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Great report. You packed a lot into such a short time. We stayed at Good Times Resort in February for 5 nights and we loved it. Kanchanaburi Province is really lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Good Times Resort
Good Times Resort
710 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Thanks for posting,

It's a good idea to obtain advance tickets for the weekend tourist train. Anyway, your plan B worked out well. You could have visited the Hellfire Pass and then travelled back to Kanchanaburi by bus.

Sorry to learn that you were disappointed by the food at the Jolly Frog, I have eaten there many times and cannot remember having a lousy meal.

Where do you plan to visit in Kanchanaburi Province next time?

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am not surprised at your disappointment with Jolly Frog. Been there couple of times myself and each time I was disappointed too. But others have said it was good. So maybe our taste buds are all different...ha ha ha

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi,

To fully appreciate the wonderful food at the Jolly Frog one has to spend several weeks there. The only complaint I have is that the apple pie is microwaved, it is all too obvious but it happens in many other restaurants. Even my Chinese wife who is usually picky in what she eats enjoys the JF food.

Perhaps people are put off by the backpacker atmosphere, I love it.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Ha ha ha, Andy. I am here for 6 years and I have plenty of time to appreciate their food.

I like their environment and no problems at all with it being a backpacker place. But perhaps when you went, you had a different cook from when I went. I do not deny that everyone has said very good things about their food but the two times I went, both our Western and Thai food was not brilliant. And service was bad - the girl who was serving us was probably in a bad mood.

But as I said, that was our experience. Not necessarily everyone's.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi Judy,

They probably do change cooks frequently. I think you should give it another go ! I suppose service can be slow if they are busy but there again it happens everywhere.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi Andy

Might consider it again one day in future.

And when I mentioned that service was bad, it was not slow. It was bad. The girl literally threw our plates at us. That's why I said she was in a bad mood.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

Hi Judy,

There's a first time for everything!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanchanaburi 2D1N Trip Report

We stayed round the corner at Sky Resort.

I took Andy's recommendation for the Jolly Frog.

Went about 5 times in the 3 days we were in Kanchanaburi.....a great escape from the sun. Only ate there once though, spaghetti carbonara.....boring I know, but it was awful, the meat was all fat including one big lump of it. My Mrs had a Thai curry which seemed to go down well though.

Food apart I thought the Jolly Frog was very good for a drink or two, cold beer and ice cold fruit shakes.

Most of the guests that we saw were the wrong side of 50, and looked like long stayers.....but mature =best, as we know how to behave.

Mentioned in this post
Sky Resort Kanchanaburi
Sky Resort Kanchanaburi
129 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi