We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Tarbes, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hiya guys,

I have been planning my trip for the last few weeks, however I struggle a bit to get info of how to get around in Kanchaburi region.

My partner and myself will be staying in Kanchanaburi from the 14th of March until the 17th of March. On the 14th we will take the earliest train from Bangkok and make our way to the Kanchanburi Train Station.

Then I booked this accommodation for our stay (note it's free to cancel until the end of next week, so if you have any others suggestions please don't hesitate).

-> Stay in Princess River Kwai for 1 night from 14h of March until 15th for $65NZD.

-> Stay in Ploy Resort/Ploy Guesthouse for 2 nights from 15th of March until 17th $98NZD.

Below are all attractions that I wanna see, I do understand they are far away to each other. I am wondering if the best option would be to hire a car. What do you think ? Have you done it ? I am looking for information on Google but can not get anything quite clear of how to do it.

Would it be better to rent a car while we will be there than trying to rent it from NZ ?

Day : option 1

- Death Railway Bridge

- Wat Tham Sua and Wat Tham Khao Noi

- Wat Ban Tham

Day : option 2

- Hellfire Pass

Day : option 3

- Erawan Falls

Befoer I wanted to stay around the Erawan Falls for a night but after reading this forum, I do have the impression that it's better to do it on a day trip (to get there enough early to enjoy without too much crowds)

Looking forward to hear from you.

Have a good day.

Marion

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
River Kwai
River Kwai
1,367 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Ploy Guest House
Ploy Guest House
309 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Wat Tham Sua
Wat Tham Sua
220 Reviews
Tha Muang, Thailand
Wat Ban Tham
Wat Ban Tham
57 Reviews
Tha Muang, Thailand
Erawan Falls
Erawan Falls
1,963 Reviews
Erawan National Park, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi Marion,

Your daily options are fine without wanting to cram too much in. Indeed, hire a car and you will be able to visit more places.

The crowds start arriving at the Falls early, I recommend staying at the park for the night or nearby. From the Erawan you can drive north to the Hua Ma Kamin Falls which are located in the Srinangindra National Park

On your day trip to the Hellfire Pass you could also visit the Home Phutoey Exhibit, the wonderful little market town of Thong Pha Phum and the Hin Dat Hot Springs.

Hiring a car makes a great deal of sense.

Tarbes, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi AjarnAndy,

Ooooh I see, so you definitely recommend to stay a night over there, interesting ! I am wondering if it would be better to only book our first night and after let's see what Kancha can offers us ...

Great I am glad you recommend us to rent a car, however how can we ? I am really struggling to find information on the web, I found a website : thairentacar.com but it states "This site may be hacked." so it sounds a bit dodgy from my end. What do you recommend ?

Thanks so much for your time !

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi Marion,

Actually, you can rent a car from near the Ploy Guest House, I think there are 2 or 3 places nearby. Ask at the guest house for directions, it is difficult to explain online. We hired a car there about a year ago, be sure to make sure everything works, especially the headlamps!

Yes, I certainly do recommend spending a night at the Erawan Park. Indeed, there are many hotels, guest houses and resorts within a few kms of the park, you will not have a problem in finding anywhere to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Ploy Guest House
Ploy Guest House
309 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi

Is there any reason to split your stay? Princess River Kwai is out of nowhere and it might be difficult for you to arrange anything on that first day. It would be better if you just stay all your three nights at Ploy if you can.

There is no way you can rent a car in advance because there is nothing like Budget, Avis etc in Kanchanaburi. All car hires are private cars. Prices starts at 1,200 baht per car per day. You might also want to check on the option of hiring a car and driver with gasonline. The price may be slightly more but gives you the flexibility of enjoying the scenery instead of focusing on the roads. But if you wish to drive, try to get a local sim card so that you can have a GPS through your phone.

Mentioned in this post
River Kwai
River Kwai
1,367 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi,

We hired a car for 1,000 baht and paid about 350 baht for LPG. This was not from the likes of Avis or any other major company. I too would spend that night in Kanchanaburi but it depends on what you would like to see. A night at the Falls is appealing!

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi Andy

When was the last time you were here? Gasoline has been going up steadily since the last 1.5 years. And everything has gone up in prices as well.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Yes it has, but petrol isn't that expensive. As I mapped it out before, and 223 ish kms, though not sure where the wats are.

But 223 ÷ 14 kpl = 16 lts x ฿29 per = ฿460....mere 100 baht more.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Ploy+Resort+Ban+Tai+Kanchanaburi/Hellfire+Pass+-+Burma+Railway+Tha+Sao+Kanchanaburi/Erawan+Waterfall,+Tha+Kradan,+Si+Sawat+District,+Kanchanaburi/Ploy+Resort,+79%2F2+Maenam+Kwae+Road,+Kanchanaburi,+%22+71000/@14.2101651,98.9499299,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e3711555555555:0xf4e02f04404b3c15!2m2!1d99.5192342!2d14.0343576!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e46ec39545e481:0x26839c74438898a4!2m2!1d98.9424108!2d14.3655746!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e476841e0fc547:0xb023ade95e498c8a!2m2!1d99.1439738!2d14.3686419!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e3711555555555:0xf4e02f04404b3c15!2m2!1d99.5192342!2d14.0343576!3e0?hl=en

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Si Sawat
Si Sawat
Ploy Guest House
Ploy Guest House
309 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi Judy,

We (four of us) hired a car eleven months ago.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi, Did you hire a car, if so could you please advise as googling is not happening for me. ps. hope you enjoyed your trip.

regards

Neil

Mentioned in this post
Neil Island
Neil Island
Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Kanchanaburi

Hi Neil

If you want to hire a car, you have to wait till you are in Kanchanaburi unless you want to hire from Bangkok and drive down here.

And what advise are you looking for?

Mentioned in this post
Neil Island
Neil Island
Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand