We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

I am planning to check out of my hotel in Kanchanaburi and take a 13:05 flight out of Don Mueang airport. (This will be on a Sunday)

Would it be safe to take the 7:05 train- which should get to Bangkok at 10:10?

I've read the train can be 20-30 minutes late- meaning if i get to Bangkok at 10:40, and then assume an hour with traffic transfer to Don Mueang I would get to the airport at 11:40.

I would also have to check bags since Thai Lion Air seems to have low in cabin baggage limits. ( I would imagine they are much stricter than in the US for a $30 flight).

It seems that the above should be doable, but a bit risky if things don't go well. Thoughts?

If I take a later flight out- it will cost me $20 more. Maybe a 2,000 BHT private transfer would be a good idea.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi,

I have travelled on bus 81 to/from Bangkok countless times without any issues. I have never met or heard of anyone having issues either.

Make sure you get dropped down in Pinklao though, as you drive into Bangkok you will pass the bus station on your right, do not worry about it though. The bus continues for several more kms, other people will get off at the same stop. It's a good idea to tell the bus conductor too.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

I did end up taking bus 81- but actually on the way to Kanchanaburi ( I had underestimated Bangkok traffic, and just told the driver to take me to the bus station instead of train). After spending 20 minutes at the bus station trying to figure out how to buy a ticket for 81- someone eventually explained to me this was not the bus station- though it was 5 km to the west.

Not sure where I was but there seemed to be a ton of minibuses, and a huge semi-circle of people selling minibus tickets. Ended up not being a huge deal, I just paid 80 baht to another cab to actually get there.

On the way back I used Mr. Toom's taxi service to get to DMK for only 1800. (easily the cheapest available I think).

His driver was on time, but did drive very fast.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi,

Bus 81 stops at the bus station only, not the railway station. No way is there another bus station five kms away to the west for buses back to Bangkok. Indeed, the 81 terminal is just 200 meters away. I would dearly like to me the person who misinformed you.

I hope you enjoyed Kanchanaburi.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Took the 0719 train from Kanchanaburi to Thonburi last month. Here's how it went...

https:/…81053765

...easy peasy, lovely relaxing trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Denmark
Level Contributor
364 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi Andy,

I may be getting it all wrong, but I read the OP like in Bangkok he was originally taken to what seems to be the OLD Southern Bus Terminal where the minivans was moved after the terminal by Victory Monument was closed. He got lost and confused there and took another taxi to the new Sai Tai (thus the believed five km away) where he caught the #81 bus, while he actually might as well have got a minivan from the old terminal to Kan'buri. On the way back to BKK he used a private driver.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Victory Monument
Victory Monument
580 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi Kanfan,

Perhaps I misunderstood but the OP is not that clear. On second reading he/she appears to have been dropped off at the old bus station by a taxi driver. Another valid reason for taking the train to Kanchanaburi.

Edited: 19 March 2017, 22:32
Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hah sorry the confusion yes what kanfan2016 said is exactly what happened.

The funny part is both the cab driver and myself made the same mistake. I had said Sai Tai Mai from reading it online (which is correct). Then I pulled up google maps to verify I was being dropped off at the right place and typed in English "Southern Bus Station" which pulled up the old one.

I thought about actually buying a mini-bus ticket (there was someone there who was trying to sell one to me). The weird thing was there seemed to be no actual passengers at the station. Tons of workers, people selling tickets etc, but not a soul arriving or leaving. That's why I was confused to what the place could be.

Denmark
Level Contributor
364 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi ED8762,

At least you survived, and made it to Kanchanaburi ;-) I really hope you enjoyed your time in this great city.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi ED8762,

Thank you very much for clarifying as to what happened. We all experience such things when travelling, the important thing is that you arrived in Kanchanaburi safely and enjoyed yourself.

Happy travels, Andy.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
20. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2018, 17:17