We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

I am planning to check out of my hotel in Kanchanaburi and take a 13:05 flight out of Don Mueang airport. (This will be on a Sunday)

Would it be safe to take the 7:05 train- which should get to Bangkok at 10:10?

I've read the train can be 20-30 minutes late- meaning if i get to Bangkok at 10:40, and then assume an hour with traffic transfer to Don Mueang I would get to the airport at 11:40.

I would also have to check bags since Thai Lion Air seems to have low in cabin baggage limits. ( I would imagine they are much stricter than in the US for a $30 flight).

It seems that the above should be doable, but a bit risky if things don't go well. Thoughts?

If I take a later flight out- it will cost me $20 more. Maybe a 2,000 BHT private transfer would be a good idea.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Remove any chance of any problems and associated stress, and stay overnight in Bangkok before your flight.

Am doing exactly that in a few weeks. Suggest...

- Take the c1442 train fom Kanchanaburi. Arrive c1800.

- Taxi to accommodation in Phra Athit area, eg New Siam Palace View.

- Relaxing dinner and a wander round the Khao San area.

- Lazy start to the day.

- c1000, taxi to the airport.

Easy, no stress.

Edited: 19 December 2016, 20:50
Denmark
Level Contributor
366 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi,

If you want to stay in Kanchanaburi until Sunday, you might - instead of the train - want to take a minivan from the bus station to Bangkok, and when there take a taxi to the airport. Minivans are leaving almost every 20 minutes from early morning and takes two hours. To me, I would feel more safe - unless of course you want to follow the previous suggestion.

Have a nice and safe trip.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi,

Take an air con bus to Bangkok and get dropped down at Pinklao from where it is easy to get a taxi to take you to Don Muang.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Three options.....depends how risk averse the OP is?

Out of inererest Andy, taking your option what time would you leave your Kanchanburi accommodation in order to guarantee not to be clock watching and possibly sweating profusely?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Greetings,

I'd leave the hotel/guest at about 07.00.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Thanks for the replies. Am considering staying in Bangkok the night but would need to juggle around a few hotel reservations.

Government bus is good, but I read it takes longer than mini buses because of the stops. Not considering tourist buses due to risk of theft.

It seems a Mini-Bus is 160-180 BHT (if including pickup). For two that comes to 360. Uber from Mo Chit is 420 BHT. So comes to 780 BHT.

I may consider booking a 2,000 BHT direct private transfer to the airport. (I've read 1800 on the forums, but after searching online it's difficult to even find places that charged less than 2500-3000).

Still not a terrible deal for a bit over double the price. What would be the safe time to leave for Mini Bus vs. Private transfer? (I would guess 7am regardless?)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi,

Minivans are faster than regular buses because much of the time they are driven wrecklessly. The bus for Bangkok (81) stops in Ban Pong for a few minutes only, it does not stop here there and everywhere.

Of course, a private transfer would be your best bet.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Hi

Private transfer is the best because traffic inside Bangkok is totally unpredictable. Kanchanaburi to Don Muang will take you about 2.5 hours and you can book the transfer when you are in Kanchanaburi. Price is about 2000 to 2200 baht. It is difficult to get one at 1800 baht these days. But if you manage to catch a returning taxi from Bangkok, you can get a great deal.

Anyway check with your hotel or go along the tourist strip and get your prices there.

Frankly when I am going to catch a flight, I do not want to be stressed with the travel. The price is insignificant compared to the stress of wondering if you are going to miss your flight or not.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

Ok thanks, I may take 81 then as I like the fact that it leaves every 20 minutes. By the way, I've read that private buses have a lot of theft if you leave you bags underneath.

I googled a picture of 81 and it has a baggage store. Is it safe to put your bags underneath? I wasn't planning on putting anything obviously valuable in there- but just curious. (Mostly it's that my air-plane sized bag itself is somewhat expensive)

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How punctual is Kanchanaburi to Bangkok train?

There is always a chance of a theft but it is not often. As long as you do not leave any valuables in it, you should be okay. Also, just keep an eye whenever someone gets off the bus so that they do not take the wrong bag.