We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Hey everyone,

My fiance and I are in Pakse at the moment, we are driving to Luang Prabang tonight and will go to Chiang Rai in 2-3 days. I heard that there is no direct bus/train from Chiang Rai to Bangkok so we plan to take a bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai and will probably spend a couple of days in Chiang Mai before we head to Bangkok and continue our journey to Koh Lipe. Could anyone help me about bus schedule from Chiang Rai to Chaing Mai? and perhaps any recommendations for a cheap guesthouse in CR? Our bus from Luang Prabang will be arriving around 8pm and in that case we will need to spend a night in Chiang Rai..

Thank in advance!!!

P & E

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

I don't have the schedule, but I remember buses depart from CR to CM every hour or so during the day. Some are ordinary, others are air-conditioned.

The link below gives the schedule for buses in opposite direction, i.e. CM to CR...

thailine.com/thailand/…Inhalt

BTW, I strongly encourage that you spend a day or two in CR.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

The green VIP bus is very comfortable, they also give you a drink and nibbles. The seats recline and its air-conditioned

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

These are the times I have. Not sure if it is still current.

Chiang Mai – Chiang Rai

VIP 8:00-10:50 , 10:15-13:05, 14:45-17:35, 16:15-19:35

Air Con 09:00-12:20, 11:00-14:20, 15:00-18:20, 17:45-20:35

Chiang Rai – Chiang Mai

VIP 9:15-12:05, 13:00-15:50, 15:30-18:20, 17:15-20:05

Air Con 11:45-15:05, 14:00-17:20, 14:45-18:05, 16:30-19:50, 17:45-21:05

Kitty :))

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

The Green VIP bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai is convenient, comfortable and runs frequently. If the above posts don't answer all your questions, send a PM to Caroline08Australia as she has the details on this bus down. Do go out to the bus station when you arrive in Chiang Rai and get your ticket for the next day to be assured of a seat.

As for guesthouses, if you are looking for inexpensive and near town, try the Starbright hotels new backpacker rooms on the second floor. They are 200 to 300B per night and really clean and comfortable. I just posted some pictures of them yesterday in the hotel review section. Starbright is a 2 minute walk from the night market and in the heart of the city. Excellent location. No pool and no lift though.

Safe travels

Broder

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

The last time I went to Chiang Rai, I stayed in Baan Bua Guest House:

http://www.baanbuaguesthouse.com/

The was another guest house in front of Baan Bua with TV set inside the room. Can't remember the name though...

Cornwall
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

Sorry to reply too late, but for any one else reading:

Yes there is a bus service from Chiang Rai to Bangkok. No need to go to Chiang Mai.

With all bus trips, avoid weekends to ensure a seat or buy your tickets a couple of days in advance. The VIP buses are very comfortabe, with plenty of leg room with reclining seats & air-con and toilet on board.

Enjoy the quietness & charm of Chiang Rai. Chiang Mai a little crazy lke Bangkok these days.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

You're thinking of the Orchids Guest House. I've stayed there many times and always found the rooms clean and comfortable. The owner is a great guy and speaks some English. The staff is nice and guest oriented. Plus there is free wifi, coffee, tea and whatever fruit is in season.

Thailand
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

The Baan Rub Aroon Guesthouse is excellent. They have rooms and a dormitory. The kitchen is very clean and you can cater for yourself if you want to. Breakfast is included. It is an old colonial house very close to the CBD, with sparkling timber floors and a large garden. I have stayed there myself and very much enjoyed it.

9. Re: Bus from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 09:17