We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are supposed to be staying in Koh Samui for 8 nights from Saturday, however the weather there sounds awful at the moment so we are considering changing our destination to Khao Lak.

I just wondered, if our flights cannot be changed, is it very difficult to get to Khao Lak from Koh Samui?

What would be the best way to go?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Fly from Koh Samui to Phuket Airport and get a Khao Lak car service to pick you up for the drive up to Khao Lak.

That is expnsive though.

On Koh Samui agents can arrange a car service to take you there. I do the road Surat Thani to Phuket a lot but have never timed a turn-off on the way up to Khao Lak, but very rough idea, from mainland Surat Thani area perhaps 3.5 hrs, something like that, maybe a little more if you stop for more than just fuel.

I am having to wild guess here but bas on other distance journeys within Thailand for car+driver, probably would be in the B 3,000 range, maybe a little more. Allowing though for the ferry over for the vehcile and that it would take up the drivers whole day if you think in the region of Koh Samui accommodation pick up to delivery to reception of your Khao Lak accommodation AU$ 100-125 is reasonable and cheaper than flying to Phuket and then taking a trip from there.

If on a budget you 'can bus but you will need the Khao Lak experts to tell you where to change. From Surat Thani you would have to I believe change bus on the way which could get complicated and also probably not fun if you get bad weather.

Edited: 04 November 2010, 12:02
Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
513 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Are you in Chiang Mai ( I think I saw you post from there ) ?

Air Asia have 2 flights per day non-stop CM to Phuket. If you cannot change your Koh Samui flights but however can get a refund that might be worth looking at.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Yes Monica we are in Chiang Mai currently. That would be perfect... fingers crossed that Thai Air will be nice enough to do that! :-)

I might try and pay them a visit tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

If you were booked Thai Airways, well they have a once a day non stop Chiang Mai to Phuket !

Just looked, they have seats availableon Saturday at Hot deal fare, dep CM 1240 arr Phuket 1435 and that is B 5,385

I would go in and see them this morning and you can b all-set befoe lunch.

That is 'good' because is only a small amount more than Air Asia !!

If you were flying with them CM-BKK-Koh Samui I see no reason at all that they cannot happily change that over to CM-Phuket.

Thy may technicaly say that they have to put in the original for refund and then you may have to but new but for 5,385 one way that sounds ok to me :)

http://www.airasia.com/th/en/home.html - watch flight times, Saturday shows 1305 flight cvosting B 5,063 one way, B 3,365 on the late flight but that lands Phuket 2350 having left CM 2145, so that is not a good flight

Edited: 04 November 2010, 12:37
Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

My boyfriend wants to still go to Koh Samui and just see what it is like. We might stay 1 or 2 nights and if it is too miserable then we might go to Khao Lak. Is it cheaper to fly or hire a driver?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,327 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

You can fly to Phuket (Bangkok Airways) as previously suggested by Monica then taxi to Khao Lak (upwards of 1500 baht) or you can fly to Surat Thani (Thai or AirAsia) then taxi to Khao Lak from there (about 3000 baht). Via Phuket will probably be quicker but only by a couple of hours. Whilst I would love you to enjoy Khao Lak as well I hope you find Koh Samui is ok enough to continue your planned stay there as transfers between the two, booking flights and other transferrs and accommodation is going to eat into your realtively short 8 days.

Good Luck.

PS Just this minute heard from friend in Khao Lak the weather is good there now, raining only in the night a bit and has not been affected by the recent torrential rains and flooding.

Edited: 05 November 2010, 19:26
Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

For 2 people it is probably cheaper to hire a driver. You can get a driver to pick you up at the pier and take you directly to Khao Lak for anywhere between 3,000-4,000 Baht.

If you fly you also have to add the taxi fee from phuket to Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Awesome thanks guys! Any suggestions for drivers that will do this?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,327 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

Contact Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak for a quote from either Phuket or Surat thani on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Mentioned in this post
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,002 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Samui to Khao Lak

There is guy that I use in Surat that does taxi service. I can't remember his name but the number is 0894723292