We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in June and July?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
440 posts
92 reviews
Weather in June and July?

Hi

My husband and I are thinking of coming to Khao Lak next year in either June or July. What is the weather like in these months, is one better than the other? I'm also a bit confused as to whether you can swim in the ocean, I have read conflicting reviews with people saying the ocean isn't very good for swimming. What do they mean? This is one of the reasons we will be coming.

This will not be our first visit to Thailand at this time and we have never had trouble with the weather but this will be our first visit in the south. I have read that Khao Lak is very open so you tend to cop the whether if its not very nice and it makes it limiting to what you can do. In other places we have just gone to a bar or restaurant for an hour or so until the weather cleared.

I also read recently that you could go to Phi Phi, Phang Nga Bay and Khao Sok National Park from here. I would like to go to all these places but didn't think they were possible from Khao Lak. Will the water be calm enough for trips in June or July?

Looking forward to hearing from all you Khao Lak Lovers. Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Weather in June and July?

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

May to October is the Wet Season in Khao Lak (as in Phuket) but also becoming known as the Green Season. This extract from a Dive Operator's web site will give you a good flavour of the climate and sea conditions in this period until someone comes along who has actual experience in June or July, which I understand are not as hot, humid or rainy as the immediately preceding or following months, comes along:

"The southwest monsoon, from late May to October, brings rain and winds to the west coast of southern Thailand, but there are still 20 sunny days per month. Most often it's only a cooling, late afternoon shower, but there are rainy days too. The verdant national park jungle is evidence of frequent rainfall.

The Andaman Sea can be quite rough with high waves during this season, and often day trips by boat will be cancelled. For this reason, we do not offer Similan diving packages during this time. Swimmers should be careful, and this is one of the reasons why most hotels have swimming pools."

Although a number of restaurants and bars close more and more now remain open all year in recognition of the increasing number of visitors in the Green Season when accommodation rates fall often to less than half of the Dry/High Season prices. So it is great value.

This last Green Season a new program of activities and special deals in a group of hotels called Khao Lak Active was launched. Have a look at www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/index.html to see the type of thing on offer in this period.

As for tours, local operators feature Phi Phi, usually via Phuket and Phang Nga Bay either via Phuket or Phang Nga City. As you will be going south from these starting points the ocean is certainly calmer than off shore along the Khao Lak coastline. Khao Sok is only just over an hour north, is particularly beautiful in the Green Season and also, because of the rainfall, trips on the river are more exciting.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
440 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Weather in June and July?

Hi Arandora

Thanks for your advice. As we love to spend alot of time in the ocean when we come to Thailand, do you think that this time it maybe a better option to pick Koh Lanta and save Khao Lak for another time when the ocean is nicer for swimming. It looks like we may be able to do more ocean based things from Koh Lanta at this time of year. Is this right?

We will be coming after a busy trip in either Vietnam or Borneo and would like to relax and make the most of the beautiful beaches and ocean. Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Weather in June and July?

Hi,

I don't think Koh Lanta will be any different but next March will be our first visit there. So I would post on the Koh Lanta forum for confirmation.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Weather in June and July?

Hello,

I will also be in Khao Lak with my girlfriend for the first time,this July/August.I was told that Khao Lak has more rain than Phuket on average during July,if anybody could confirm this..??...

Even tho' I have not been to Khao Lak,I would advise extreme caution if swimming at any beach.We are going for the surfing(boardriding)experience as we have always surfed Phuket.Khao Lak and Phuket share the same west coast and the same swells...

Take extra care even when the swell is small(1-2 feet)for undertows and rips are ever so prevalent.Swimming beyond your means and sand could prove fatal...Can anybody confirm the presence of lifeguards/towers and/or beach patrols in Khao Lak..??...We will be staying at Laem Pakarang(surf central)....Might even see you there...!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Weather in June and July?

No actual experience of wether in either KL or Phuket in July/August so can't compare the rainfall.

I can confirm though that there are no lifeguard towers or lifeguards on KL beaches, including Pakarang. Well, no sign of them at the moment anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Weather in June and July?

Thanks Arandora...If the weather in Khao Lak is anything like Phuket In July/August then I aint complainin'...

As for lifeguards and or towers...My first trip to Phuket in 2004,there were none...If someone got into trouble in the surf,the beach boys renting jetskis or paraflying boys were the only chance anybody had of being saved...if they noticed anybody drowning that is..??..I think the first towers and flags were up either in 2006 or 2007....

So,I thought the chances of Khao Lak having any sort of lifeguards was a possibility....

Apparently not....So,be very careful...!!...If the surf is up don't swim at a deserted beach...

Use the hotel pool or take surf lessons and learn how the ocean works...Surfing is a whole lot of fun...!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Weather in June and July?

I think you are preaching to the conveted! Having lost my sunglasses the other day when paddling on Bang Sak Beach when a high wave appeared from nowhere, there's no way I'd try surfing on an unattended beach - especially when you see the rocks that line the sea bed at Pakarang when the tide is out!!! :((

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Weather in June and July?

Arandora,There are many tourists who underestimate the power of Thailands surf...and get into trouble...

And I am so glad you mentioned Cape Pakarang...

We are staying at Cape Pakarang and believe it or not..Pakarang has the best waves in Thailand for experienced surfers...(yes..even over the rocks and coral)

Matt from Pakarang surf shop gives surf lessons for I think 1000 baht/hour including board hire...tho' he teaches surfing at a beach close by...(not on the point)I recommend surf lessons for fun and Matt will have anybody standing within the hour...Well,providing you have some sort of balance...!!??..

9. Re: Weather in June and July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 21:27