We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

HI,

We will be ending our Safari in Arusha and wondered about a good (on a budget) place to stay. Are there tent camps or good bed and breakfast places? Also- will there be a place that we could book a Safari to Amboseli- and if so- how many days do we need to see Amboseli?

Then- we will have a few days left on our trip- would you suggest traveling to Zanzibar before heading back to Nairobi to fly home?

Is it good to have some down time to add things on to our trip or best to have it all booked out day by day?

I am traveling with my 18 year old daughter and on a budget- these $500 a night tent camps and hotels will not work for us.

Thanks for any information you can give me,

Courtney

Thanks for any information.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

When I'm in Arusha I stay at the Arusha Center Tourist Inn and the cost is about $35. There are some other places in that same area for about the same cost. There are quite a few places in Arusha where you can get a simple room for budget prices.

Not certain about getting someone to take you to Amboseli, most of those are made from Nairobi since that's in Kenya. Just ask around at some of the safari operators and you will soon find out if someone is available to do that. I would guess that it would be a tad expensive since you need to go into Kenya for this, and most of the safari operators in Arusha are not licensed to do that. Since you are flying in/out of Nairobi I would think you might want to do that and make the arrangements while you are in Nairobi.

Some people who like to go to a beach take a few days in Zanzibar. To get there you will either have to fly there or take a bus to Dar es Salaam (an all day trip) and then either catch a ferry over to Stone Town or take a flight from Dar to Zanzibar.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

There are plenty of cheap palces to stay in Arusha. The one suggested by Karl is fine as are others are your operator to suggest one.

It is difficult to get a Tanzanian operator to take you to Ambroseli as you will need to be in a Kenyan registered vehicle to visit the park.

Why not try try as Karl suggest a operator there.

Also you could visit Mkomazi or the Usambara mountains or even Tanga.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

We stayed at McElly's Hotel in Arusha recently $55 for a double room with a good breakfast and enjoyed it. You can read reviews on the hotel here on TA.

Regarding this: Is it good to have some down time to add things on to our trip or best to have it all booked out day by day?

I would say it's better to have it planned out if you have limited time.

If you decide to go to Zanzibar, I really enjoyed Stone Town Cafe B&B in Stone Town. It was a very enjoyable stay and not as expensive as our stay on the beach in Paje.

Have fun planning!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

If you want to do Amboseli, why not ask on the Kenya forum about getting from Arusha to Amboseli - maybe a company can meet you at the border and you can bus from Arusha towards Nairobi.

Also, consider Kenya coast instead of Zanzibar?

5. Re: Where to stay in Arusha- and how far to Amboseli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 08:17