We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Hello,

Previous questions on this topic are about a year old now! Can someone tell me what my options are for airport transfer from the Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha? I will be arriving on the KLM flight getting in at 19:45. I've heard about the Impala shuttle, Riverside shuttle, and taxis (~$50).

However, I cannot find any information online on the above shuttles actually stopping at JRO. And where would they drop you off? As for taxis, is the $50 per car, or per person? Can someone provide me an update on what a licensed cab looks like?

THANK YOU!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

When you exit the airport, there will almost definitely not be a shuttle option for a KLM flight. Sometimes the shuttle option is there, but I've only seen this during the day around the time when Precision has a flight landing.

The cost is $50 per vehicle, I believe... but I'm not 100% certain. I am pretty sure that if there are two of you then it would be $50 total, but if they are combining two different groups, then maybe it's different... not sure they would even do that without your permission...

You won't see the actual taxis parked outside because they are not allowed to park right there. Someone will ask if you want a taxi and there will probably be someone holding a sign saying 'Taxi $50'.

You should not need to worry about getting a 'licensed' taxi because if he's not licensed, he's gonna have a really tough time getting through the gate in the first place.

If there is a shuttle, they will typically make a few stops in town at the more popular hotels and thus a good chance they will drop you at your destination if you ask - at least that was my experience a long, long time ago. Anyway, it's irrelevant as I really don't think you'll find a shuttle available after the KLM flight. Impala and Riverside shuttles don't go to the airport, to my knowledge, and besides they are more for transfers between Arusha and Moshi and Nairobi.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

I believe the Impala shuttle stops at Mt. Meru Hotel and Impala Hotel. I stayed at the Impala Hotel and arranged for the shuttle to pick me up at JRO on arrival. Below is what I wrote about my Nov. 2009 experience.

"I stayed at the Impala and had their shuttle ($15, a good price) pick me up from JRO. The traffic was very light at ~9:30 pm, and the driver kept a moderate, safe pace. The return with the shuttle (different driver) was hair-raising. There was very heavy traffic in both directions at the time (~6 pm) and the road sat under a pall of gray soot from exhaust fumes. These conditions did not keep the driver from attempting to attain Warp Speed whenever possible. The minivan had neither air conditioning [all the better to savor the exquisitely polluted air] nor safety belts, and repeated requests to slow down were either ignored or not understood.

"I'm not normally squeamish about cab/shuttle drivers, but that trip to JRO was the ride from hell."

Edited: 08 May 2012, 01:30
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Thanks Steve, so the shuttle picked you up upon request. Did others get on the bus then? Maybe they do it on request because normally when I come out I don't see it and lately I've asked just to see if anything was around so I could share that information here. Each time, there have been no shuttle.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Yes, I requested the pick-up in advance. It seemed they had a regular run out to the airport, which arrives 2-3 hours before the nightly arrival/departure of the KLM flight. It could be that if they have had no advance requests for pickups the van simply returns to base. I was the only passenger JRO-Impala Hotel; Impala-JRO, there were 2 of us.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

If arriving for safari, why not simply ask your tour operator to meet/greet and transfer you to Arusha.

steveb108 - sounds like that transfer from Arusha to JRO is for paxs departing Tanzania homebound, why 2-3/hrs prior arrival of the incoming KLM flight.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Sandi, tell me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding: the KLM flight that arrives about 8:30-9 pm from AMS and deplanes incoming passengers is the same one passengers heading home will board and then go onward to DAR and back to AMS.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Steve - was the Impala hotel shuttle complimentary, and if not, what was the fee?

My safari company quoted $90 for an airport pick-up from JRO, which is ridiculously overpriced, particuarly when a taxi ride is $50!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

localo, I think Steve says above that the cost was $15 per person. I'm guessing they do this for guests staying at their hotel. Probably others can join if the vehicle is already there but would they send a vehicle for $15 if the passenger was not staying at their hotel? I would think not.

Also, I own a safari company and charge $70 or $80 for a JRO transfer. I don't think $90 is ridiculous. Consider that safari vehicles are bigger, faster, and more comfortable. They also take a lot more fuel. Also consider that it goes empty to the airport whereas the taxis hopefully are not empty on the way to the airport. Taxi is a good deal though, for people wanting to save a few bucks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

localo, the price 2.5 yrs ago was $15 each way. But the punchline to my experience given in Post 2 above was that one should try to be very selective about transportation to/from Arusha/JRO. And given that advice, I think 4sandi's suggestion makes sense. But $90 sounds high to me too.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transfers from Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha

Yep, Steve, I gotcha.

This was really helpful, and it sounds like I might just go by taxi unless I decide to stay at a hotel with cheaper arranged shuttle service. It's also really good to know the taxi situation at the airport! Thank you!