We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

I am due to visit the Northern Safari Circuit before flying on to Zanzibar.

I have been deliberating on the funds I need to bring in USD vs TZS?

I am thinking USD for the safari with TZS for small tips, TZS in Stone Town and largely USD/credit card in the resort with TZS for tips and purchases in the villages.

Does this sound about right?

Will using 1 currency over the other work out less expensive for certain services/products in different areas?

Many thanks in anticipation

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Stone Town
Stone Town
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

mfuwe - actually our cash needs include:

-The VISA fee and the CTA fee (for volunteering), both to Immigration when we arrive.

-The last of our payment to Foot2Afrika (The NGO were are volunteering with)

-Airport transfer fee, paid to Foot2Afrika

-Four weeks of living expenses while in Moshi (we get 2 meals and room provided, but all else is ours to pay.)

And the above is times TWO

- The 30% still owed to Safari Infinity.

plus the things you mentioned!

I may just pay the $80 in transfer fees to wire the balances to Foot2Afrika and Safari infinity.

Just the other day I set up a "travel" debit card with my bank so I can just put a limited amount of USD in there for use while in TZ. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and that way if someone gets a hold of the account info it would not be possible to drain all of the money out of my accounts. But maybe even this is not a good idea???

I despise the idea of having to carry enough cash on me to live for 5 weeks! How the heck do I carry that around with me?

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,530 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

Well Kathy there are obviously exceptions and your trip is one of them but, partially in my defence, you won't be carrying all of that around for five weeks.

Visas & CTA gone even before you leave the airport.,(and an ATM would not have helped would it?

Foot2Afrika. Gone on arrival from the airport.

As to SafariInfinity. Will they accept TZshillings as that is all you would get from the ATM? Again your travel Debit card will only get your TZ currency not US$.

So whilst I have no idea of the sums involved, and don't want to, I do not think the problem is a big one. Take $100 notes and they don't take up much room in your purse.

Maybe QM will have some suggestions?

Edited: 02 May 2012, 08:19
philadelphia
Level Contributor
209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

Kathy, I have the same concern with carrying a lot of cash or worrying about identity theft. Not only am I a compulsive shopper on vacation, but we have a lot of expenses on our 15 days in Tanzania including a safari (prepaid), and going to Zanzibar. The hotel in Zanzibar wants cash. There will be visas, taxis, tours, laundry, tips, meals and incidentals for 3 of us. I want to get a tanzanite stone in Dar es salaam before we go to Victoria Falls. I have to admit with all the advice on using common sense and "street smarts", identity theft and getting mugged makes me uneasy. I don't know where to hide this money. Experienced thieves know where tourists keep their money and it's not like we can tap the ATM machines along the way. I feel like I'm always going to be looking over my shoulder.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

BettyinPhilly - someone ended up buying me a cloth money clip that I attached to the inside waistband of my pants. That is where I kept all the money during our flight, as I did not want to trust it to any of our bags, even our carry-on bags. I wore the clip the first 2 days but now that we are at the volunteer house I leave our spare cash (TSH and USD) in our (locked) drawer in our room. I really do not even need to lock it, as volunteers leave stuff all over the place and no one has had anything taken, but I do feel more comfortable with it locked. It is different in a lodge though, I imagine.

I bought a cloth bag like the kind the Tanzanian women carry and wear it crossed over my shoulder when we are out and I carry some of my TSH in the pockets of the cargo pants I usually wear, so i don't have to take out a wallet or a bunch of cash all at once. I keep my eyes alert, but have only felt "unsafe" the first day we walked on Moshi city, with all the flycatchers walking after us trying to solicit sales. But that feeling of not being safe had more to do with being in unfamiliar surroundings.

The woman who runs the volunteer house here has lived here for a year, and uses an ATM card very frequently, and has never had a problem. Many of the other long-term volunteers say the same. Anyone can have a problem with identity theft I have learned. My daughter in the US had charge card information stolen and when her bank started seeing charges from Germany on her account, they called her immediately. Seems it occurred through her ITunes account.....so really nowhere is safe, although some places may be more "unsafe" than others.

The money clip was purchased at AAA store I think. It did help me feel more secure when carrying all that cash. Good luck - and safe travels!

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
philadelphia
Level Contributor
209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

Kathy, thanks for your feedback.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

We carry two ATM debit cards that can also function as Visa credit cards. We also carry a lot of cash.

We split it up - we each carry our daily money in "throw down" wallets. If accosted - hasn't happened in all our travels - we will willing give up the small amount of cash and expired credit cards.

The real stuff we keep in hidden pockets inside our pants. We use the zippered pouches that usually come with a neck cord. We cut off the cord, I have one of these pockets sewed to the waistband in each of my pairs of pants... it is right under the regular pocket which always has that roll of breathe mints and a slighlty used kleenix it it... masking the flat bulge beneath. My wife doesn't like swapping the stuff from one pocket to another as she changes clothes, so she uses safety pins and just moves the pocket from one outfit to the next.

And I'll repeat my advice for a wallet... I just got another for under $5 at Sierra Trading... nice nylon wallet that can be thrown into the washing machine... money is, by its nature, passing from hand to hand, a rich environment for germs, and in underdeveloped countries it is often particularly well-used - and aromatic!

Estes Park, CO
Level Contributor
96 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

How about using credit cards in Nairobi for the hotel before we arrive in TZ? Or for meals or wine in Arusha? WOW! I take less than $100 in cash when we go to Italy because of the prevalence of ATM's and use of credit cards. When I think about paying tips, laundry, and drinks for two weeks it does seem like a lot of money. And I assume that lots of small bills are needed for those small amounts.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Estes Park, CO
Level Contributor
96 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

How about using credit cards in Nairobi for the hotel before we arrive in TZ? Or for meals or wine in Arusha? WOW! I take less than $100 in cash when we go to Italy because of the prevalence of ATM's and use of credit cards. When I think about paying tips, laundry, and drinks for two weeks it does seem like a lot of money. And I assume that lots of small bills are needed for those small amounts.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
19. Re: Tanzanian Shilling vs USD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:43